Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in a couple of weeks I will be the proud owner of my first Benz. The old owner is going through the lost title stuff now so I can get her. I think I'm insane as the 300D has 420,000 miles on it but is still rock solid. What should I worry about as far as axles, ball joints etc with a high mileage car?

Larry

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld, these old cars are built like tanks, no sweat there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would check tie rod assembly, upper control arms, bushings, steering damper, etc. You can rebuild the entire front end relatively cheaply. I have a 1984 300d with 420,000 miles on it and I recently replaced all the front end steering parts. It drives great. I have also found a good place to buy parts for old Mercedes at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
Any order over $50 qualifies for free shipping. They seem to have the best prices for anything from oil and fuel filters to all the parts I mentioned previously. Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I would check tie rod assembly, upper control arms, bushings, steering damper, etc. You can rebuild the entire front end relatively cheaply. I have a 1984 300d with 420,000 miles on it and I recently replaced all the front end steering parts. It drives great. I have also found a good place to buy parts for old Mercedes at Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
Any order over $50 qualifies for free shipping. They seem to have the best prices for anything from oil and fuel filters to all the parts I mentioned previously. Good luck with the car.
Thanks for the tip on parts. I have been driving it for a week now and I'm starting to sort things out. So it it runs and drives well.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts