Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked my 300d this weekend and I'm starting to go through it and see what needs fixing. The car has 420,000 miles so its probably going to be quite a list.

The first thing that jumps out is the idle is 500 rpm. A search here led me the EDS and the y22 connector. I can't seem to get the y22 to pull out and I didn't want to force it. It looks like the y22 is connected to the connector I have marked in the photo. Does pulling this do the same thing or do I need to get the y22 loose from the back of injector?

Pulling that connector did not change the idol, so if that's the right one I guess I need a new EDS.

Sorry to such a newbie, but I'm new to diesels and Mercedes

Thanks,

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
There might be a sticker in the engine bay that spells out what the idle should be.

I think it is low on these cars, maybe not 500 rpms, more like 620 or something.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The arrow is pointing to a couple of switches used by the EDS to manage EGR and boost management functions, not idle speed. What you want to access is actually on the rear of the injection pump. It's red and has a two pole plug on the top. Pull the plug and then replace it while the engine is running to see if the idle speed changes, which might indicate that there's simply some corrosion on the connections. If not, then you'll want to see if there's a break in the wiring or perhaps even the solenoid itself has failed. How is the power output otherwise?

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
power

The arrow is pointing to a couple of switches used by the EDS to manage EGR and boost management functions, not idle speed. What you want to access is actually on the rear of the injection pump. It's red and has a two pole plug on the top. Pull the plug and then replace it while the engine is running to see if the idle speed changes, which might indicate that there's simply some corrosion on the connections. If not, then you'll want to see if there's a break in the wiring or perhaps even the solenoid itself has failed. How is the power output otherwise?
The car seems to run fine other than low idle, doesn't stall but does seem to rattle/clack at 500. If I manual run it up to 750 or so the clacking smooths out and goes away. Also seem to vibrate at 500 almost like the motor mounts are bad, but they seem good. Again this smooths out once the rpms pick up a little bit.

Larry

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
broken wire

Well I finally got the Y22 connector off and I found a broken wire. I have cobbled it back together but the connector is in pretty bad shape cracked and braking apart. Is it ok to splice in a new connector if I can find one or should I replace the whole cable?

Any good source for either the connector or cable?

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
Connector shells can be purchased from any MB dealer for just a couple of bucks.

They're considered to be a consumable item.

However, since you have a '92 you might be dealing with the dreaded eco junk wiring issue. So if the wire insulating materials is cracking/flaking/missing then you will have to purchase a new engine wiring harness.

·
Registered
1992 300D
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wiring

Connector shells can be purchased from any MB dealer for just a couple of bucks.

They're considered to be a consumable item.

However, since you have a '92 you might be dealing with the dreaded eco junk wiring issue. So if the wire insulating materials is cracking/flaking/missing then you will have to purchase a new engine wiring harness.
The rest of the wiring looks ok. I think its a age/high miles thing. I am also chasing a problem in the left dim head light line. All other lights work fine. My harness doesn't look anything like the pictures I've seen of the eco harness though.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The other wiring issues on the gassers and late diesels don't seem to affect the OM602 cars, and even if they did, there's not enough critical wiring in there that can't be cobbled together DIY. MB sells both the solder-in male/female pieces as well as the plastic holders for these, and they're really cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts