Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1992 2.3 190e

1183 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  190 S GEHT
I am seriously considering selling my 1992 Bmw 318i convertible with 145000 km for a 1992 ice blue 190e with only 75000 kms.Has air conditioning, sun roof , but no leather. Bases on provincial insurance records the car has not been in an accident , is local and drives really well. I am going to get it inspected independently tommorrow. The car seems solid, runs smoothly and quietly and is an automatic... This would be my first Merecedes....there is very little difference in price between the cars....I like the Bimmer, but I'just tired of driving a 5-speed in traffic...also the car like a lot of older convertibles is very noisy....leather seats squeak, rattles exist where windows meet roof.lots of wind noise, cowl shake and plenty rain in the northwest I also drive a motorbike in the summer...so much for a convertible..the differential is also very nosy....etc...etc... the car can be annoying to drive....it is peppy though.....this brings tme to my question ...the little mercedes seems to run great , but seems a little sluggish in the automatic....once it gets going it's fine...is the 190 peppey enough for mainly city driving with possibly 1 other passenger...lots of stop and go traffic....and are there some inexpensive and simple engine mods which might help...really want the mercedes you're input is appreciated...it seem like so much more car than my little bimmer.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'86 300E; '86 190E
67 Posts
your reasons suggest MB

I've had 3 older BMWs; two 320s and one 318i and I have to say I don't miss them at all. I have an '86 2.3 with 133k miles on it and it seems to have enough go for most of my purposes. What I like (only if the car has been taken care of) is the craft. It's much better than BMW. Smooth. The MB tex seats are very comfortable. It's a fun car to drive and very solid, compared to the older BMWs anyway. I don't miss the clutch. I think you've sold yourself but make sure you have a cushion to take care of problems because the car will probably grow on you personally and you will want to take care of it. I have an '86 300E also. Sort of like a big daddy to the 190.

Attachments

· Registered
Mercedes
6 Posts
Buy it! I have had my 190E 2.3 for over 3 years. It had 81,000 miles on it when I purchase...

Buy it! I have had my 190E 2.3 for over 3 years. It had 81,000 miles on it when I purchased it and it just passed 178,000 miles. I have my 250,000 km medallion from Mercedes. On the highway it is solid and quiet. I have pushed over 110 mph and it purrs. I will never own another American car.

Yes, they can be a little sluggish but if this car has the 4 speed automatic you can easily shift down and get a little more pep out of it. You can do this by manipulating the 4 speed auto tranny. Going to a larger diameter exhaust (80cm) and better air intake would help a lot. And you could consider a Jacobs ignition.

Check out www.2phast.com for some ideas. Eventhough his mods were for a 2.6 they may be adaptable and would do wonders for the 190. Is this an 8 valve or 16 valve? There is a big difference.
[:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.