Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bough a set of amg double spoked wheels off of a 2005 S55. the front wheels hit up against my calipers. there is a bump on the caliper between the two pistons that would be nice to grind off but i'm not sure if brake fluid will come out, does any one know ? i bought spacers but now the lug nuts are too short, called ther dealer they only sell what i already have. Help please.

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update, i finally found a parts person to help me out with the wheel bolts, now they're rubbing the rear emergency brake but that's an easy fix. although i still would like to know if i could file off the bump in the middle of the calliper between the two pistons (front) so that maybe i wouldn't need the spacers.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Grinding on a critical part is never a wise choice.

If you can't make the wheels work with spacers, purchase wheels with the proper offset.

This really isn't a place to try new approaches.

The other problem you have is that you need CUSTOM lug bolts, because your new wheels are R14 ball seat and your car used R12 bolts. (This mismatch is unsafe and could lead to damaging the wheel or having it come loose.) You can contact Radusadirect.com and order the proper R14xM12 bolts; however, you may have to purchase different spacers if they don't have the correct length.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
299 Posts
Spacers/Bolts

all you need are 5mm spacers and different bolts. SL is 12 X 1.5. S55 is 14 X1.5. ball seat radius also key. My spacers and bolts should work. I do not use them anymore. Spacers are Ichiba which are strong alloy and lightweight. Bolts are forged alloy and Dacromat coated.

$50 plus shipping. $175 when all was new.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
299 Posts
Grinding

Don't do it. You will mess up the integrity of the casting. Those calibers are not machined. I only have front spacers but bolts for all 4 wheels. I have run 4 sets of wheels in different sizes on my SL. Only one was the OEMs. I don't see why the rear parking brake would touch. If the bolts are too long that would happen. Your wheel offset and size are key. What are the specs? offset, widths, diameters. picture?

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, cool, you ground the bump off with no problem that's great news ! thank you, and thank you for all the replies ! the wheels i'm putting on are double spoked amg wheels off of a 2005 S55, they are 9 x 18 with 44mm offset (rear) and 8.5 x 18 with 44mm offset front. they came with michelin pilot sports but i'm taking them off, they throw my rear end around on some of the roads that are uneven and putting on my new continental dws's. Now i will have to check the bolt seat on the rim with these aftermarket bolts, thank you for the heads up !

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no worries, could have been a crappy casting, but i was going to try it anyway. i didn't want to have the spacers so it was worth the try, calliper was only 80 bucks. so i took the spacers out of the rear, the 3" bolts were rubbing on the e brake shoes, now my rear end doesn't hop Lol, only put them there to match the front but wasn't necessary. left the spacers on the front, drove it home and it is nice and smooth, with the continentals. sent the AMG double spoked wheels that were on the cart and fit right to the wheel repair guy to get done.

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
from my auto parts store, was $175 or 80 without all the brackets , just the casting and pistons but ready to go. glad i called back to ask why so much. didn't check on used ones, took the one off of my '92 300SL while i was waiting and put it on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts