Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would not open that attachment on a bet...be careful folks. And if you've opened it, scan your system.

Why not just paste the text into a post here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brucemendel said:
I would not open that attachment on a bet...be careful folks. And if you've opened it, scan your system.

Why not just paste the text into a post here?

Ouch; it amaizes me just how little trust people must have. I am not saying you are wrong in your concern, but it gets to be a point of ridiculious. I have pasted the text, just for you!

1991 Mercedes-Benz SEC73 AMG

Technical Specifications
Engine……………………………….........................BRABUS-built 7.3L DOHC 48-valve V-12 engine
Net Power……………………………..................................................................................582 hp
Net Torque………………………………............................................................................569 lb-ft
Top Speed………………………………...........................................................................197 mph
Transmission………………………………......................................5G-TRONIC 5-Speed Automatic

Features
Chassis
Koni Special Shocks. H&R Sport Spring Set. Brembo GT 4-wheel disc brakes; 14" compound, cross-drilled and ventilated front discs with AMG twin piston calipers; 13" cross-drilled and ventilated rear discs with AMG single piston calipers. 19” Staggered ITN Style #309 wheels (front: 19x8.5 & rear: 19x9.5). BFGoodrich g-Force T/A tires (front: 245/35 ZR19 & rear: 265/30 ZR19).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exterior Enhancements
AMG sport mufflers with quad exhaust tips. WALD-designed front air dam with mesh air intakes, side skirts and rear apron with mesh air diffuser. Dual aero-blade windshield wipers. Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge low-/high-beam headlamps. Halogen front fog lamps and left rear red fog lamp. AMG badges including “V12” fender badge, “SEC73” and “AMG” trunk badges.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interior Enhancements
Power front and rear side windows with one-touch express-up/down for front windows. Hand-fitted AMG-designed perforated leather seating surfaces with metal AMG badges. Exclusive leather interior treatment with a glove-soft and fine grained finish hand-fitted to head restraints, dash, console, doors, armrests and rear shelf. Alcantara covers the pillars, sun visors and headliner. Stainless-steel illuminated door sill trim with AMG insignia. Exclusive AMG gauge faces, pedals and floor mats.

Options
Exterior Color
Obsidian Black Metallic
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Interior Color
Cognac/Black Exclusive Leather
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Trim
Burl Walnut Wood
Technology Package
Becker Grand Prix radio featuring iPod integration and Bluetooth. JL Audio ZR-Series speakers and Slash-Series amplifier. Monster Cable 400-Series interconnect and speaker cables. Digital climate control unit (w140). Auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Wood Package
Leather wrapped steering wheel with upper and lower wood inserts (w140). Matching wood shift knob.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
mainly because you have only 3 posts. we don't know you well enough. There are alot of disgruntled, banned, ex-members who would like nothing more than to infect our systems for revenge, to be concerned with. No offense. Please understand.

Here, you can write a novel. no need to put it into a doc.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Nice contrast - one guy, two posts in two years. Then another with 1050 in three months.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
yeah but I think you guys know me well enough by now that I'm not just some jerk who is yanking your chain. That sounded awefully sarcastic to me. I have offered alot to this forum and made honerable buys. lots of em from the members here.

and besides. He wanted to know why. No one was saying shit. So I told him a possible reason.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
DarkOneSK said:
yeah but I think you guys know me well enough by now that I'm not just some jerk who is yanking your chain. That sounded awefully sarcastic to me. I have offered alot to this forum and made honerable buys. lots of em from the members here.

and besides. He wanted to know why. No one was saying shit. So I told him a possible reason.
Kalifornia was paying you a compliment I think. Saying that one guy with two posts in years got upset that someone wondered if there might be something fishy with his attachment (although he probably did not know about the few disgruntled unhinged banned members).

The other, you, with tons of posts in a short amount of time, showing how it should be done here, earning the right to question things by contributing a lot, and still taking time to explain to the other person why people have a right to be concerned.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Well as you may or may not know, it is possible to put an M120 into a W126 engine bay, it has been done. Getting your hands on a Brabus 7.3 version would be quite a task and getting Brabus to make you one would cost easily over 50,000USD. Now with regards to a few minor points with the cars styling. 1st. whats with the AMG badges everywhere, isn't this going to be a Wald styled Brabus powered car? The only AMG things would be the calipers (why AMG when there are better components out there?) mufflers (again why?) and these oh so exclusive gauges of which I have a set and so do several others in this forum.
I admire your efforts to go into details like "dual aero blade wipers" and to take us through the whole laying of the interior "by hand" as if there is another way of doing it.
One of the biggest questions is although the W126 SEC is a great car, why the hell wouldn't you just go for a R129 Brabus V12, you would be getting a great car that actually works properly because with this build you will have problems.
I think you are just like everyone else on this board who "dreams" of the perfect W126 but 98% of us have the sense to keep these ramblings to ourselves and only when we accomplish them do we mention it, we don't go making statements that are not going to come true. Have I woken you up yet??

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
DarkOneSK said:
mainly because you have only 3 posts. we don't know you well enough. There are alot of disgruntled, banned, ex-members who would like nothing more than to infect our systems for revenge, to be concerned with. No offense. Please understand.

Here, you can write a novel. no need to put it into a doc.
Thanks for the perspective, it's wise counsel.

GREAT GOING on your trophy for best of show on the car ---- you sure earned it!
Your car is really a beauty. The transformation was truly amazing.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I contacted BRABUS in Florida about 7 or 8 years ago and even then they didn't really want to fool around with the W126 cars. Same story when I visited their showroom in Newport Beach Calif. a couple of years after that. Maybe if you waved enough money in their face it might be different, but they aren't really interested in these cars.

I would think the extensive list above would be best taken as suggestions on how to modify the car.

.......Adapt the ones you like, ashcan the others.

I would personally argue against many of them.

KONI special shocks, no, Billstein HD or comforts would be better...

WALD body kits, no, Period correct AMG body kit or leave it stock

Leather on the rear shelf, no, that's asking for trouble, under that big rear window, you don't need all that leather in there

Obsidian paint, why not period correct blue/black (ie, Pearl Black?)

Staggered wheels, no, too much of the Koenig/Widebody thing suggested by those

Bi xenon lights, no, getting into ricer territory there, Bosch H4 Hella euro lights will work perfectly at night

V12, SEC 73, AMG badges, no, all that is a little over the top, maybe period correct AMG badge, or BRAUBUS, on boot lid is enough. Or debadge it completely.
As described it is a Brabus, AMG, Wald and other mishmash of parts thrown at it

It is ALL subjective. Take ten owners and put them togetherr and you would get ten different opinions on what to do. Interesting subject though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It is no secret that this project would take an absorbant amount of money, time and effort however, I get the sense that there will be equal satisfaction when complete. Anyone with $200,000 can walk into a local Mercedes-Benz dealer and pre-order a 2008 CL63 AMG in Obsidian Black Metallic but who can have a retro-modern CL63 AMG rival?

I would imagine pleanty of you are familiar with the work of Chip Foose; it is the same thing for me. There are pleanty of people that would be satisfied with purchasing a 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 and leave it alone; for others, it is worth the money to restore a 1965 Mustang GT Fastback and shoehorn a 5.0L Cammer motor engine.

I suppose it is a "dare to be great, or different" characteristic of me; I have a few projects of this sort in the works, a 1995 CE65 AMG Cabriolet and a 1984 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet. I believe in the concept of making something unique. I currently do the same with bicycles. Currently, I own a 1994 Klein Rascal mountain bike that has been repainted in a 2007 spec color and fitted with the highest-end 2007 components, many custom made for this bike. I also have a 1993 Klein Quantum II road frame hanging on my wall, waiting to do the same. It is simply more satisfying than purchasing an "equal" production product.

As for the AMG, Brabus and WALD mix, I know it is a bit of a sacrelig but, I think it will come out right. I find that the W126 SEC is a very timeless body however, the era-specific AMG kit gives the car a very dated look. The angles and flares of the kit are far too rough and aggressive; I much prefer the sleeker, smoother and more contemporary styling of the WALD kit. Much like the Jay Leno Toronado project, I seek to make this car rival the more recent CL AMG on a basis of styling, performance and ammenities. The WALD kit looks closer to current, and more recent, AMG styling than does the era-specific AMG kit.

For the engine, I am left with few options; I want a high-output V12 but there aren't too many options. In an effort to keep things AMG, I would have opted for an AMG-built 7.3L M120 of the limited production SL73 AMG however, I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery or dating Danica Patrick. The three closest alternatives I could find were the Brabus 7.3, 7.3S and RENNtech 7.4 programs; I choose the latter, the Brabus 7.3S. At the very least, the displacement will equal that of the AMG-Built 7.3L M120. As far as suspension is concerned, I don't know how much better the Bilstein's will be however, I have been pretty partial to Koni shocks in the past; same with brakes, Brembo!!! In the description I referenced AMG for brakes however, they will be Brembo GT brakes, repainted to replicate the AMG brake callipers.

Anyone can buy a "cool" car however, this is more of a dream; dream's are worth the money. One could ask why people build replica Ferrari 308's; to do it right, one can more easilly purchase a real Ferrari 308; to some guys the experience and personalization is worth it, though I would rather have a real Ferrari 308.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
DarkOneSK said:

No criticism of your posting activity expressed or implied. You should know me well enough by now to know that I'm not some jerk who is yanking your chain, either, but no offense taken and hopefully none given. Cheers!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
brucemendel said:
Kalifornia was paying you a compliment I think. Saying that one guy with two posts in years got upset that someone wondered if there might be something fishy with his attachment (although he probably did not know about the few disgruntled unhinged banned members).

The other, you, with tons of posts in a short amount of time, showing how it should be done here, earning the right to question things by contributing a lot, and still taking time to explain to the other person why people have a right to be concerned.
ah. well if indeed that's the way he meant it, my apologies. However. it didn't sound that way to me. please clarify Kalifornia

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
That car is amazing. Very cool look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts