Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 SL and the Hydraulic fluid for the top is leaking in front of the right rear wheel and the top is not working. I just had the front hydraulics
replaced by the dealer for $1600.00 (I WAS ROBBED)and now the rear is leaking. I am going to fix it myself this time. Does anybody know what the part is called or where I can find a new one for a good deal, and has anyone ever replaced it before? Any advice would be great.
Thank You
Paul
[email protected]

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
$1,600 ... you gotta be kidding. Thank God I found some value info in this forum (thanks guys). I ordered the part but it doesn't come yet. Hope I can fix [the front hydraulic] by myself.

As for the rear, look at this site that Jim gave me before, you might find some. You could also ask the sellers.

http://stores.ebay.com/fivestar007_Convertible-tops-and-sunroof_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

Good luck fixing it and post us the results.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,232 Posts
Your leak is probably coming from the hydraulic cylinder, but it could be coming from the valve block. That eBay seller has both of these, but why buy used when new parts are inexpensive?

You'll need to remove the parcel shelf behind the seats and the rear side wall to access the hydraulics. I have not done the procedure myself, but it looks easy. Email me if you need help.

Attachments

·
Registered
SL129, W124
3 Posts
Hi all
I am new to this group but have been following it for some time.

I am also having the same problem with my rear hydraulic cylinders for the softtop.

I am in Malaysia and my regular workshop has quoted me a horrific sum (close to US$5000) to replace the 8 cylinders in the rear and 4 (or is it 2?) in the front. Obviously I am not going to spend that kind of money. Apparently the parts are expensive and he has told me that if I am able to source for the parts myself he is willing to just charge labour to replace them for me.

Would be extremely grateful if anyone can help in giving me details like part numbers and price. Also, are rebuilt parts available.

Thanks everyone.

Tan

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part that is leaking is inside the top mechanisim inbetween the front part of the quarter panel. Does anyone know what it's called?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,232 Posts
RE: Name of part

It is simply called the "Soft Top Hydraulic Cylinder". The part number is 129 800 02 72. A new one is less than $300.

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My part should be here on monday and I'm going to attempt to replace it myself. Does anyone have any last minute advice for me ( should I do it with the top up or down and what kind of fluid should I use from the parts store and should I flush the whole system) any advice would be really appreciated.
Thank you
Paul

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My parts arrived today and it turned out that it was the wrong part 129 800 02 72. Can anyone tell me what the right part number is for this cylinder block on a 91 SL. I have enclosed a few detailed picks. Also, what is the easiest way of doing the job on this! take the whole top off or wedge my way in there? Here is a few picts of it! Any input wold be great.
Thank You
Paul [?][:(]

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the Part number 124 800 02 72 or 129 800 02 72

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just finished installing the new part! The hydraulic system works great with no leaks.
But I think I screwed something up! When I open the top everything works perfect, now when I go to close the damn thing, the rear deck lid gets stuck and the rear window section won't go down. I really screwed something up, I try to pull the lid down manually and it doesn't budge, but if I leave it for a minute or two then it makes a click sound and then I can put the lid down manually and then continue pressing the button to close it and it then closes normally.
I don't know what in the Blue HELL I did wrong.
Does anyone know if there is something that needs to be reset or something? this is driving me nuts.
Oh and by the way, thanks for all the help with the part numbers, I got the right part from the dealer
For $200.00 with my Policemen's discount.
Thank You
Paul[?][xx(][:(]

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,232 Posts
RE: Blue HELL

I don't think you screwed anything up, Paul. Since the top opens with no problems, you know that all of your hydraulic actuators are working properly. I suggest running diagnostics, but before you do that, let me ask this: when you try to close the top and it stops, is the red lamp on, and if so, is it still on when you finally get the top closed? Because if the answer is "yes", then I'm pretty sure the controller is not receiving a signal that the top is latched at the windshield.

And one more thing. If the key is switched off, you should be able to move the compartment cover freely without waiting.

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The answer is yes and no, the top latches at the windshield but no at the rear deck lid. The lid stays open and the rear half of the top flaps like it's trying to open instead of closing and when I finally get the lid to go down and the rear half to go down (all by hand) It finishes the job by locking down while using the switch again. It weird kind of like something is working backwards! Do you think if I got the two hydraulic lines crossed that this is why it would do this?[?]

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,232 Posts
RE: Lines crossed

I don't think you could have the lines crossed, since you said that the top opening operation works perfectly. One of the first motions is to raise the fabric bow. If your new cylinder were plumbed backward, the bow would remain down.

·
Registered
1991 Renntech SL60,
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya know, I did disconnect a wire that operates the hydraulics on the top so they wouldn't rip off! Do you think that I would need to reset the battery or something? S.O.S
Thank You
Paul
Chicago[?][B)][xx(]

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,232 Posts
RE: S.O.S

I have encountered a situation where a soft top controller needed to be "reset". But disconnecting the battery for a brief period did not accomplish the job...It was necessary to access the control module and remove the connectors from it.

I think it would be worthwhile to do a reset. You probably know that the controller is located under a plastic panel in the storage area behind the passenger seat. You'll need a 10mm wrench or socket. Also, it is my experience that it is very difficult to remove the connectors from the module unless it is unmounted -- remove two 10mm nuts to do this.

If the reset doesn't help, it is a simple matter to run diagnostics. And if that still gets you nowhere, I suggest the next step would be to check the inputs and outputs at the controller.

·
Registered
98 SL500
45 Posts
Lots of threads to this topic, nit sure where my post fits. I bought the rebuild cylinders from TOP Hydraulics (I am very happy with their quality) and replaced 8. Bad idea since 6 months later another one failed, so I got the remaining 2 ( the two on the rear locks are -hopefully so so critical). My advice is replace all of them at the same time, I believe they charge 550 USD for rebuilding all.

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
A throwback to 2004...

cnn,

thank you for sharing your experience on the forum - you made my day! Wow, this is an old thread from the pioneer days of folks doing DIY cylinder replacement on their cars, and there was no rebuild service available yet in 2004...

In any case, thought I'd add a diagram with the location of all cylinders for future readers:

DIY removal instructions:

1298001672 front lock cylinders mounted in front locks 1298000774 and 1298000874: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Front Locking Cylinder Removal.pdf
1298000072 tonneau cover lock cylinders mounted in tonneau cover locks 1298000374 and 1298000474, or 1298001574 and/or 1298001674: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Tonneau Cover Lock Cylinders.pdf
1298002072 tonneau cover lift cylinders: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Tonneau Cover Lift Cylinders.pdf
1298000272 main lift cylinders: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Main Lift Cylinder Removal.pdf
1298001772 and 1248000272 or 1298001872 bow extension cylinders: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Bow Extension Cylinder Removal.pdf
1298002172 rear lock cylinders mounted in rear locks 1298000574 and 1298000674 or 1298001174 and 1298001774 or 1298001274: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129 Rear Locking Cylinder Removal.pdf

:)

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
1999 SL500 SL1, SL2 Package
50 Posts
Rear Lock Cylinders Replaced, Hydraulics work great, but same problem with closing.

When I open the top everything works perfect, now when I go to close the damn thing, the rear deck lid gets stuck and the rear window section won't go down. I really screwed something up, I try to pull the lid down manually and it doesn't budge, but if I leave it for a minute or two then it makes a click sound and then I can put the lid down manually and then continue pressing the button to close it and it then closes normally.

I'm having the same problem described above, 1 out of 10 attempts I get the top to close on its own completely. But shortly after, I get the flashing convertible button and warning sound as if it was not locked in at the windshield, but it is in fact closed.

Furthermore, in the stuck position, where the rear elbow is still open and the rear deck cover still up, I hear a higher pitched whirring sound. Which I think is supposed to happen, it continues as long as I'm pressing the convertible button closed (forward) but the sequence does not complete.

Lastly, (just trying to provide every little detail) at one point last night as I fiddled around with this, the windows became out of sync

Kuddos to Top Hydraulics for the repair on the rear locks, Thank You!

Now what can I do to get this top working, please......:dunno:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts