Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,499 Posts
Mercedes W124 are worth more in parts then a running driving car . If you can take the parts off and sell them part by part you will have enough cash to buy a newer car . Like the EZL alone is fetching up to £400 in the UK and thats only one part .
Very true, but that takes time to pull a car apart and sell in lots on like eBay. Most owners won't do it and the larger items are a PIA to ship out and sweat that the carriers won't ruin them.

Kevin

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry about your boy mate. That's just awful.

I'm quite prepared to sue, get that court settlement, and put a lien on everything they have.

Insurance was dicking me around so I got a lawyer. Things are going a little more smoothly now. I'm still uncomfortable to the verge of suffering most of the time. Not agony or misery though those have definitely been felt. Just an unpleasant sensation most days.

All for a fucking text/ like/ tweet. Yes, they admitted to "taking a quick look at their phone" in the moments before driving right through me.
My father and i went out to the Hospital. We where both checked out. No broken bones or anything like that. Just soreness. The unfortunate thing is that we are both insured by Geico. So i gather they are not interested. I just missed the adjusters call. After looking at it again, the damage isnt that bad. New door, new quarter, interior door card, new wheel well and thats really it. The car has the typical rust spots in the A pillar and then in the area of the tail lights. It needed a full respray.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,197 Posts
Make sure the frame is not bent. I had a 2001 90K mile W210 wagon hit in a very similar way, slightly more violently by my neighbors teenage son of all people 40 yards from my house.
It looked like the boy panicked and hit the accelerator pedal (in reverse) rather than the brake pedal pulling out of his drive way.

Wagon was a total loss at $11K. Frame bent, rest of the car was in perfect shape. It was it a little bit closer to the door frame though.

If you truly believe it is a low mileage car, find one that has a good body but needs mechanical work for a lot less than what you would put into that car.
Swap your good parts into that newly purchased car. But I will have to agree with SBAERT, it does not have the apperance of a <70K mile car from the photo's.

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a friend on a MC that was hit by a guy arguing with his daughter at an intersection. He kept a file of all the expenses and when he was given the OK by all the docs, some two yrs later, he got his settlement. It's a long haul with insurance companies....they hope by simple attrition most will drop out.

As far as the guy losing his house, that will become a civil court case and probably go to a jury. The insurance companies have deep pockets beyond the $15k/ $30k/ $30k state minimum on the policy.

My son got his collar bone broken just riding passenger in a car that rolled over multiple times. It was over a yr before he saw any money other than the medical stuff. WA has some law that since he was living with me, he was able to go after my car policy company too. So both insurance companies of the two cars involved and mine to boot......crazy. He got a sizable settlement, got hooked on opioids for all the pain(first surgery was botched) and eventually succumbed to drugs. He did get to spend the money first.......

Kevin
Sorry to here about that Kevin. The Prescription drugs are far worse and more addictive that illegal drugs. I know someone who was in a car accident. Both his shoulders were operated on. They gave him a tone of pain killers. He took one and was in heaven. One of his parents are in the medical field and told him how addictive it was and how dangerous it was. He stopped useing the drugs, took Tylenol instead, he also went to physical therapy several times a week for years. Its better now but he is always in pain. Hes got this dull ache. Whenever there's some kind of precipitation its get worse. He was given this thing called a Tens Machine unit. It sends electrical stimuli to the shoulder and back muscles via pads, that are linked to wires that goes into the machine. I tried it once. This thing was awesome. it was like a really deep tissue massage. I was so impressed by it, i bought one for myself. I put it on my shoulders, back and thighs. I can fall asleep in under 30 minutes. I then wake up, wrapped up in wires.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
558 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your son, Kevin. That is a terrible thing to have to deal with.

Jevo, I would agree with others who have suggested that it be totaled, and taking the payout. Also, if you decide to buy it back, be sure that the damage is just cosmetic, and not structural as was also suggested.

·
Registered
1991 350SD; 1987 300SDL; 1988 300E w/ original 5-Speed manual
15 Posts
It is DEFINITELY a total loss - just to join the huge chorus of knowledgeable people who have already responded. There are still lots of decent 300E's out there, many in better condition, and a few in MUCH better condition. I hate to say it, but part it out and/or junk it, and just start fresh. You'll barely realize it's a different car. I've had three of 'em, and each one has driven and run better than the last (I had more money each time - $150, $2,200, and $6,500 for each successive one). [Former insurance adjuster here.]

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
14 Posts
So, here is the deal boys, i drove my car two days ago with my father. Some due stupid ass lady damn near T boned us. My back right door area was crushed into the fender. This info was given to me just today via the phone by my Geico adjuster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It needed paint/body work before the accident. I need help boys. What should i do? Anyone know of hi quality body shops in the Westchester county NY/CT area that can fix the car? If not, what price are you willing to pay for the car from me?
If you are intent on keeping the car, negotiate as high a settlement as possible with the insurance company and then buy the car back from them. Use the difference to buy a used door, trim, and possibly a quarter panel from the salvage yard. Find a really good body shop to install the parts. Don't scrimp, here. In bodywork, you get what you pay for so if you intend to keep the car, don't scrimp. Use the opportunity to get rid of the peeling clear coat and lay down a fresh coat of paint the same colour as the original. Don't change colours as it's more expensive and there's always something to give it away as being repainted or "pranged". Lastly, think about suing the other driver to recover your losses. If there are no injuries, ask only for the cost to repair. Insurance companies tend to be more receptive if they realise there's no personal injury claim involved. These steps worked for me with a '97 Isuzu Trooper. A bent fender made the insurance company want to write the car off. I found the fender, & bumper, headlight bezel a a salvage yard. Picked them up pretty cheaply and had them installed by a really skilled body shop. I'm happy with the result and the insurance company and I are still on speaking terms.

Mike in Sydney

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
210 Posts
Pry the rear arch away from the wheel, then drive it while you decide on the next step. This is nothing a competent body shop can't fix - new (secondhand) door and work to the arch. Hopefully the frame has not been bent.

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
210 Posts
What's the best way to tell if the frame is bent?
The body shop would be able to tell, but based on the pic that doesn't seem to be the case, he was hit above the structural sill.

·
Registered
W124
5,306 Posts
It is DEFINITELY a total loss - just to join the huge chorus of knowledgeable people who have already responded. There are still lots of decent 300E's out there, many in better condition, and a few in MUCH better condition. I hate to say it, but part it out and/or junk it, and just start fresh. You'll barely realize it's a different car. I've had three of 'em, and each one has driven and run better than the last (I had more money each time - $150, $2,200, and $6,500 for each successive one). [Former insurance adjuster here.]
Couldn't agree more. Time to move on and forget this car. This is beyond repair for under $2000 and it then needs an intensive respray. Negotiate the best buyout you can (search for threads on how to do this - I have participated in at least three). The Cliff's notes version is that you can get at least 35% more than the insurance company's first offer. Additionally, let them keep the car and go buy another one.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,499 Posts
Andy is accurate about this.....part of the scam with the insurance companies is urging you to buy back the vehicle from them with a salvage title. It's just another way for them to recoup some of the payout sum and not have to physically deal with the car itself. They don't have a network of 'body choppers'.....the damaged car just goes to a salvage yard and with a title, they may get a couple of hundred back, if that.

Kevin

·
Registered
2007 R-230 Mercedes-Benz SL600
60 Posts
Sorry this happened. Especially on your first hard earned money car. IMO, the pre-existing condition plus the crash damage definitely exceeds the value of the car. Repairing it would not be a worthy investment due to cost and carfax decrease in value. Take the insurance money and go for your next project. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, i think im going to take the money from the insurance and just move on.Anyone in the New England area? Anyone now of any good mechanics in the area of westport Ma, Dartmouth college area that can come out to evaluate a car? Im also looking at a replacement around the Jaffrey NH area. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,875 Posts
Well, i think im going to take the money from the insurance and just move on.Anyone in the New England area? Anyone now of any good mechanics in the area of westport Ma, Dartmouth college area that can come out to evaluate a car? Im also looking at a replacement around the Jaffrey NH area. Any ideas guys?
Can't help with finding a mechanic but good call on moving on. I had a 400E which took a hard hit in the same spot and was repaired before I got it but it wasn't ever right. There are far better options out there for not much money and if you can swing it I would recommend looking for a southern car with no rust and driving it home.

·
Registered
1991 E-class 60,005miles
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Keep them coming guys. I want to buy another e class. I saw a manual trans 2008 c300 on facebook marketplace for 7k. Anyone know if any company made go fast parts for it? I also saw a 2014 Dodge Challenger manual for 15k. I saw another one with really low miles for 18k.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,281 Posts
you want to go fast in a Mercedes, get an AMG V8 something, like an E55

21 - 39 of 39 Posts