Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced these.
The green ones work but the reds have failed. Would replace them if not too dificult.
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Infrared lights in door handles

Its a 1991 500 SL.
Has the red and green lights on door handles and boot

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,235 Posts

These are easy to replace. Email me for instructions. Before replacing a suspect unit, I would verify the problem by checking if the controller is sending the signal to the red LED.

·
Registered
'91 SL500
16 Posts

hey bob, when you say "unit", does this include the door sensor as well? my passenger side door isn't responding to my remote and think it's my sensor. both remotes work on the driver's side...

is it an expensive part/procedure to replace the sensor as well?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,235 Posts

By "unit" I was referring to the module that inlcudes the green and red LEDs and the receiver. I don't know if the receiver can be purchased independent of the LED indicators.

The procedure for removing one from the door is really easy. You pull away about 10 inches of the weather seal along the edge of the door to expose a 4mm allen-head screw. Remove the screw, insert the key and turn it 90 degrees and remove the IRCL unit complete with the lock.

There are a couple of tests for determining if the receiver is bad. If you remove the connector to a unit and measure the voltage between sockets and #7 and #3 you should get battery voltage. That's easy enough to measure.

To test the output signal from the receiver you need to measure the voltage between pin 8 of the IRCL controller(picture) and ground with it in-circuit. This is a bit tricky since you can not completely seperate the male and female connectors at the controller. You will either have to remove the back cover of one of the connectors to access #8, or you will have to seperate the connectors slightly and carefully insert test probes without shorting anything. What you do is use a remote to lock the car and keep the button pressed. When the locking process is complete (and the windows are going up), read the voltage on pin #8. Then release the button and read the voltage again. There should be a difference of .3-.5 volts DC between the readings if the signal is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts

Hi Bob Terry,
My infrared are working fine except both the green and red lights does not light up.
can I just change the leds?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,235 Posts

I don't know if it is possible to buy just the LEDs, Robin. You'll have to check with your dealer. I wouldn't replace anything without testing first. The wires to the units are color-coded with green-striped going to the green LED and red-striped to the red.

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts

thanks bob terry, i'll check with the local dealers..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts