Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wanted to know how many of you out there own a Euro coupe and would care to share your experiences?

I just purchased a low mileage (74k) 91 silver coupe from Bruce that needs a little bit of cosmetic TLC but is otherwise mechanically mint with a solid, rust-free body. It needs some minor paint work (hood respray, spot touchups, and a good detailing) Otherwise very clean with a near mint interior. The car is from Japan.

I know its basically the same car as the US spec but understand it has a different high-velocity FD, different manifolds, heads(cam), exhaust with no cats. What about other differances? Are most parts interchangeable like the PS pump, brakes, ball joints, injectors and other regular maintanance items?

Also, the car has a blue velour interior. Not my fave, but I was wondering about the pitfalls of changing it to all black leather? Hard to do? My main fear is the dash removal and installation. Not something I will do right away but maybe in the winter.The other option is to keep the blue dash and just change out the seats to blue leather and change the door inserts. The blue may grow on me in view of all the work and expense in going black.

I know it's fast... and I'm probably going to want to make it go even faster! Any tips or comments would be welcome.

Getting the car shipped to MI in a week or so. And... oh yes... Bruce was great to deal with. Very patient and helpfull. Highly recommended.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

Most parts are interchangeable with US spec, so you shouldn't worry about not being able to get parts. However, the US spec may not be as good as Euro spec in some parts.

Your engine has the Tri-Y manifolds? Your Japan-spec car should be in the 280+/- hp range which is much higher than US spec.

You also have that Gen 2 Euro bumpers which are HOT imo:D

Blue velour holds out MUCH MUCH better than blue leather. I'd either leave it as is or get black leather thats in good shape, but black also has a tendency to fade. But the Silver/Black combo is very attractive.

I removed the dash from my parts car and I can say its not at all that bad to do the removal. Just go slow and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Snibble.

Yes I have heard its 280+ as well as 300hp so I'm a bit confused. But I imagine if its 280 it wouldnt be much of a stretch to get it to 300.

Are you saying the Japanese Euro spec is specifically 280 and there are other Euro versions that are 300? I have heard the Euro hp reffered to both ways and am just curious which cars have the 280 and 300 rating.

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
Leather is probably one of the worst coverings for seats. Looks rich, smells great, but its cold in the winter (thank god for those seat warmers :) ) and sticky in the summer and you have to moisturize it annually. Personally I'd stick with the velour.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Argh! Don't change the velour, it's WAY better unless you are a status seeker. :) Wears better, more comfortable, and holds you better in the turns.

The 91 cars all came with cats I think. This car had a high-flow pre-cat added to pass emissions, drained 3-5 HP but not really noticeable. It is not a 300HP motor, 280 less 3-5. The seller always says his cars are the 300HP engines, but I think it has to be 822 high-power options and the VIN# does not bear that out.

But definitely a HUGE improvement over the US motor...much much stronger from standing start, when dropping into passing gear, and from 80MPH and up.

Also, it just got a nice tune-up so it would pass EPA on first attempt. So cap, rotor, plugs, wires, drive belts, oil/filter, fuel/air filter are all new.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brucemendel said:
Argh! Don't change the velour, it's WAY better unless you are a status seeker. :) Wears better, more comfortable, and holds you better in the turns.

The 91 cars all came with cats I think. This car had a high-flow pre-cat added to pass emissions, drained 3-5 HP but not really noticeable. It is not a 300HP motor, 280 less 3-5. The seller always says his cars are the 300HP engines, but I think it has to be 822 high-power options and the VIN# does not bear that out.

But definitely a HUGE improvement over the US motor...much much stronger from standing start, when dropping into passing gear, and from 80MPH and up.

Also, it just got a nice tune-up so it would pass EPA on first attempt. So cap, rotor, plugs, wires, drive belts, oil/filter, fuel/air filter are all new.

Have fun!
Yeah Bruce, maybe you're right. I'll have to see...maybe it will grow on me. Plus you generally dont see too many velour MB's. It's not a status thing... I just like the quality of leather. I have a black on black SEL with a black leather interior so I'm a bit attached to that look. Like I said earlier, I was just thinking about it.

One thing it will definately get is a nice set of AMG wheels and eventually some ground effects. The SEC's I tend to gravitate to all seem to have ground effects which I think compliment the car very well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brucemendel said:
I guess I know what to do if I want to gain an easy 3-5hp! BTW what's the 822 option?

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I would Love to have the same car. I am lloking for a 560 SEC or SEL. Fun.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,214 Posts
graftdesign said:
I guess I know what to do if I want to gain an easy 3-5hp! BTW what's the 822 option?
Congratulations. I would love to own one of those, but it's not really possible in CA.
Maybe some day through our Arizona residence?
Couldn't find 822, but someone here (forgot who) had posted this link:
amcon: Mercedes-Benz common options

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,347 Posts
I love my 560SEC Euro. Arctic White on black leather.

I never understood the whole velour thing myself, I know it's a big option in Japan but I wouldn't go for it myself.

I love the leather, if it's taken care of it will wear just as well as the velour.

- Steve

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,214 Posts
Looking at Mercedes Benz cars in Germany you would see more fabric interiors than leather. You also slide a lot less, even without sport seats.
My car came with a leather interior as well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cyberdyne said:
I love my 560SEC Euro. Arctic White on black leather.

I never understood the whole velour thing myself, I know it's a big option in Japan but I wouldn't go for it myself.

I love the leather, if it's taken care of it will wear just as well as the velour.

- Steve
I'm with you on that. Seems all MB's should have leather! The velour just reminds me of a "regular" car. However there are other very nice materials and fabrics other than leather so maybe a cool custom interior is an option. My particular velour looks dated to me, which is why I'm not crazy about it.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what it's like in person and then decide.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
How about custom Alcantara interior? :D

i've seen a couple factory Alcantara interiors, but not many were ordered. The ones that are left have seen better days... but when taken care of, look great!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes.... definately Alcantara!!!! Beautifull stuff.

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
If you're going to redo your interior why not get the best of two worlds - leather and velour. Here's a pic of somebody who redid their 450sel 6.9 just that way. Came out pretty nice

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Euro 560SEL
433 Posts
graftdesign said:
Thanks Snibble.

Yes I have heard its 280+ as well as 300hp so I'm a bit confused. But I imagine if its 280 it wouldnt be much of a stretch to get it to 300.

Are you saying the Japanese Euro spec is specifically 280 and there are other Euro versions that are 300? I have heard the Euro hp reffered to both ways and am just curious which cars have the 280 and 300 rating.
Congrad on the purchase and welcome on aboard. It's always nice to see another Japanese spec car saved and made it to North America.

Ahh. the infamous Japanese spec Hp rating question.

The offical horse power rating of Japanese spec car is 285 according to Mercedes Benz Japan. All have them comes with cat to pass the Japanese emission standard.

However, there were cars that were paraell imported into Japan. In these the HP rating would depends on where its orginal intented country is can varied quite significantly. It can range from 242 to 279 to 300.

The best is the run the VIN and see what form it was when it left the factory.

As for the velour interior, I actually come to prefer it over leather particularly the black one. Black velour particuarly as it ages fades into a lightish grey which is very pleasant to look at. The blue velour however, dosen't weather as well. When it fades, it turns into that wash out blue jean colour. But even that is better than dealing with dried out crack leather seat.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Good info!

Graft's cart was built to Japan market specs, so it is a 285HP engine, with a loss of 3-5 HP from pre-cat installation to pass US emissions.

Pre-cat removal coming up I sense!

B

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
London380sl said:
If you're going to redo your interior why not get the best of two worlds - leather and velour. Here's a pic of somebody who redid their 450sel 6.9 just that way. Came out pretty nice
Hmmm. That's a possibility but I don't like this color combo... too much contrast between the materials. I think it would work better with say a gray on gray or tan on tan etc with slightly contrasting colors... but not as much as these. Cool idea and nice craftsmanship however.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts