Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CL500 /// 2004 CLK500 (sold) /// 1991 500SL (sold)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appears I have a broken nut at bottom of shaft of shifting lever and shifter is loose and spins. Can anyone explain how to get access to this to repair.
I need to remove the plastic shifting guide cover which appears to be attached by 4(?) bolts. Is this correct? Shifting lever rotates awkwardly within guide. Any help would be appreciated-could not find video to explain. Thanks. Terry

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Terry,
I am afraid the fix requires more. My info says you need to remove the entire wood portion of the console. This requires removing the radio first, followed by the AC/Heat control module. Then there are bolts and stuff. You need to be very careful not to crack the wood veneer. I want to replace my shift knob with a new/wood one. That is the only way to get to the nut I am told. I just have not had the time to do it. The instructions for removing the console are is the stickies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have have previously removed everything so the shift lever and its housing are exposed because I am installing a new stereo-speakers-amps etc. The videos were great but I am fearful about simply removing the 4 bolts that appear to hold the plastic housing around the shift lever---see pics. Now I have to figure out how to attach the pics.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,790 Posts
The videos were great but I am fearful about simply removing the 4 bolts that appear to hold the plastic housing around the shift lever---see pics. Now I have to figure out how to attach the pics.
You can upload images from your computer.
When you press 'Add Reply' scroll down until you see 'Attach Files' then 'Manage Attachments'. Select 'Browse' and click on the the images you wish to show, then just click on 'Upload'. The images will then appear at the bottom of your post.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Quick reply different than add reply-try attaching pic's as you described-cannot seem to find "manage attachments"--OK found it under "advanced"-hope this works. If so, thanks for the assistance. Terry

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,790 Posts
This is a diagram of the parts if it's of any help.

Click to enlarge

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
This is a diagram of the parts if it's of any help.

Click to enlarge
It looks to me like the shift pattern plate "snaps" into the housing. If that is the case, you probably do not have to remove the four bolts. You should be able to swing the plate out of the way then and get to the jam nut.

Experts??? Am I right about this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a lot of patience and a little luck--I was able to remove the top plate. In the 2nd photo-on the left upper side facing corner there is a black tab that you can push in with a screwdriver. Then at both the front (park position) and opposite corner of the housing there are a couple of tabs that you can pry/pop back. Finally, with this done take a screw driver to the back of the hosing and insert at bottom to pry out while wiggeling--and voila it is seperated. Key is pushing in the black tab first. Hope this helps anyone who needs to tighten that nut on the shifter.
Also, the 4 bolts that secure the unit-do just that. When removed the whole housing lifts and you can see the linkage connection through the hole-read in abyss below. If you are anything like me your immediate thoughts are-OH NO what have I done-hope if I put it back everything still lines up with the transmission and shifts properly, can I afford more down time and money, etc.
Good luck.
Terry

·
Registered
1992 500SL
64 Posts
It looks to me like the shift pattern plate "snaps" into the housing. If that is the case, you probably do not have to remove the four bolts. You should be able to swing the plate out of the way then and get to the jam nut.

Experts??? Am I right about this?
I'm not an expert, but you are right. You do not have to remove those 4 bolts to get to the shift knob nut. It's not difficult to do IMO it's just all about patience and 'going slow' trying not to scratch or crack wood or plastic. I had mine dissambled for a few days waiting for a part and couldn't wait to put the console back together cause I was afraid of forgetting the order in which to re-assemble everything.
Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts