Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
What's so unusual about it? The sport grille? That's the only thing I see out of the ordinary, otherwise seems normal...

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
The seller did not mention if the veh. is still on the original engine. Anyone who knows anything about these 350SD's knows that these 6 cly. diesel engines self destruct after so many miles. They were known as " rod benders ".This is the only MB diesel engine I would stay away from.
I'm sure others will chime in shortly on this.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
ugly ass rod bender.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
The seller did not mention if the veh. is still on the original engine. Anyone who knows anything about these 350SD's knows that these 6 cly. diesel engines self destruct after so many miles. They were known as " rod benders ".This is the only MB diesel engine I would stay away from.
Just the 6cylinders? Or just 350's?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
The 350 IS a 6 cylinder and were notorious for bending rods. I know of one in my area that the owner hasn't had any problems with at all. In fact there is a picture of it in the SoCAL GTG and Drive thread. I don't remember how many miles he has on it but it is a very nice looking car and he kept up with me on the last two SoCAL GTG and Drives.
I guess that there are exceptions to the rule.
That said the 300 SD's and SDL's were a great engine. (6 CYL diesels.)

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think after 18 years and 228K miles...if the rods haven't bent by now, when do you all think they will, and why now? Or the engine has been replaced, making this a moot issue.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
"Please don't scam me with a phoney cashier's cheque."

Drat! He foiled my scheme.

Way to be specific, I guess. KBB? Now he's just being silly...

·
Registered
W126 300SE, C124 300CE, W201 190E 2.6, E32 750i, Porsche 924
58 Posts
I don't think we got the 350's in Europe and I read about that problem on wiki but could you be a bit more specific about what just happens under the hood when it all goes terribly wrong?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Actually a well known problem on Craigslist...usually West African scammers trying to get lucky.

craigslist | about > scams
Oh I know all about those. But as-if any scammer is going to heed preferences from the seller. I actually got one when I listed my '77 300D.

"Please for you to send Item to my address, and I to return payment with cheque"

Uh, yeah...sure...whatever you say...

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I know all about those. But as-if any scammer is going to heed preferences from the seller. I actually got one when I listed my '77 300D.

"Please for you to send Item to my address, and I to return payment with cheque"

Uh, yeah...sure...whatever you say...
I always make them send the check to set them back for the fees and postage...I give the address for the head of the local fraud unit (clearly stated as the address of the local fraud unit). Then I usually receive emails why the scammer has not received his cut/my deposit of his fraudulent check, going from impatient, to threatening, to finally pleading, to nothing. I love it.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
I don't think we got the 350's in Europe and I read about that problem on wiki but could you be a bit more specific about what just happens under the hood when it all goes terribly wrong?

punch in " rod bender(s) " in the search area up on top and you will have your answer to your question.

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts

PM me if you want an explanation in Dutch (or Flemish;))

gr J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts