Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my radio is shot buttons are broken off and such. Can I remove it and buy an old one off eBay and put it in? I’ve been told I need the amplifier as well or it won’t work but I already have everything. I can’t imagine the deck and amp are married together.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,937 Posts
I am currently refurbishing a 91 300SE. The sound system is very unique to late model W126 or early 90's MB's. These are 3 component systems.
#1 The unit in the dash is a cassette player/controller only
#2 in the trunk on the passenger side behind the inner panel of the wheel well there is another unit (master CD controller/tuner) the brains of the system.
#3 are the speaker amplifiers. There are 2 which are located behind the rear passenger seat back. One amp for left speakers (front, door and rear) and the other for right speakers (front, door and rear)
The power antenna actually connects to #2 the master controller.
Important facts: all these components are proprietary and manufactured by Becker Autosound for Mercedes. Every component is 30 years old and are most likely to fail due to age. Fortunately all the components can be restored/rebuilt by Becker autosound located in New Jersey USA. Some dedicated enthusiasts follow this path to keep the car "original" but at a price. I have heard quotes from around $200+ for each of the 3 system devices. Finding units in a wrecking yard is possible but most likely they won't work or if they do work not for very long (again, all these electronic components are 30 yrs old) The choice is yours.

With the 91 300SE in my shop I made the decision to replace the complete audio system with modern components. With my project the speakers will be replaced as well (the factory speakers are now 30 yrs old, aged paper cones and the impedance is proprietary for the Becker system and not supported by modern manufactures i.e. impedance is not friendly for modern electronics)

As I am currently executing this project I will take some photos and create a DIY for a simple and inexpensive modern stereo update for W126 sedans/coupes with the 3 piece factory systems. This car will have modern bluetooth, hands-free calling, usb port and a proper amber color display. As we all know the sky's the limit on modern car high fidelity systems. The aural rewards of such systems are breath taking and well worth the expense and effort for those reaching for that level of state-of-the-art car audio. A few members on BW have such systems and I applaud the results. Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts