Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I just recently totaled my w126 and have come across a 1991 300ce with113k miles. Listing price of 7k...original owner and really nice. Test drove it today and she drove beautiful shifted nice with no slipping and everything worked. The only thing I noticed is that it consistently ran at 100c. The line above the 80c (whatever that temp is). Is this normal? Also at idle the oil pressure is just under 2 but as soon as you accelerate it's at 3. Love the looks and handling of the car and will put the loss of my 500sec behind me if it was anywhere close to the w126. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
100C in Nothern California is too high....you shouldn't be exceeding 100C even in traffic on the hottest days out there.

Oil pressure sounds fine.

Check out for operation of fan clutch and check coolant level. Does it start warm only at idle or in traffic too? You may need a new radiator +/ water pump. Water pumps dont last forever...usually they need replacing anywhere from 100-150k. Most of the time the weep hole opens up and its done, but the impeller wears too and creates low pressure.

7k is too much too. 7k would be absolutely PERFECT in every way shape and form. Very few examples meet that criteria so I would say fair price sounds like $4500 assuming no other issues.

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
Hi all...I just recently totaled my w126 and have come across a 1991 300ce with113k miles. Listing price of 7k...original owner and really nice. Test drove it today and she drove beautiful shifted nice with no slipping and everything worked. The only thing I noticed is that it consistently ran at 100c. The line above the 80c (whatever that temp is). Is this normal? Also at idle the oil pressure is just under 2 but as soon as you accelerate it's at 3. Love the looks and handling of the car and will put the loss of my 500sec behind me if it was anywhere close to the w126. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi mate - you have an issue there somewhere. My 300CE (1988) runs at 80 most of the time only going above when prolonged idle in traffic and thats to about half way between 80 and the 100 mark OR after shutdown if you go back in say two minutes the gauge will shoot up temporarily whilst the engine cools down. Idle at 2 is fine and 3+ whilst running is perfectly normal. In high temperatures the oil may thin and idle can drop below that but as long as your showing 1 on pressure a blip of the throttle will send it back to where it should be.

The 300CE is a magnificent piece of machinery with typical MB over engineering but a delightful car to drive and will serve you long and well if it is looked after. Enjoy !

·
Registered
1992 300ce, 3.0, 207,00 mi.
335 Posts
7 K is way too much. Look at CL listings for the LA and San Diego areas and you'll see several examples of these CE's and their price ranges.

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
I agree with everything said above.
First off, $7k is WAY too much!!!
The mileage alone, excludes that car from that price range.
The enthusiasts here valued my car at $4-5k. Click below to see it.
Oil pressure acts normal.
For temps, check that the fans come on as mine reaches in the hottest ambient temps about 90 and then cools off once fans kick on.
If it is great, which is not due to temps, offer $5k. I would offer $4k and if not accepted, walk.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
You'd be getting the deal of the decade if Semis was to sell his car to you for $5. It is a correctly sorted car that has no excuses. Hell, IMHO it would be worth closer to 6k, knowing what's been done to it and the level of execution.

Jayare

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks Jim, yup you have been great help in my getting the car to where it is.
Again, thank you.
That would be $5k right:)?
I am not sure though I want to sell, I was kinda just asking about value on the car, although everything is for sale for the right price, right?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Thanks Jim, yup you have been great help in my getting the car to where it is.
Again, thank you.
That would be $5k right:)?
I am not sure though I want to sell, I was kinda just asking about value on the car, although everything is for sale for the right price, right?
Oh you PIMP !!!!! You you you..........Charlatan !!!! :D
Call the W124 excorcist - the man is possessed !

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Offered $4900 and the guy almost punched me. Pulled out all the records and was pissed going over it with me. The car has been maintained and he would not go lower than 6k. So I walked.....but I want it....I want it bad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
6k is a bit high but sounding better than 7k. If the car is that good, you really want it and you are ok with spending the cash, I say go for it.
I have regretted in the past not buying this or that because of over thinking. Some things come around only once. These cars in excellent shape are rare. You might find a cheaper example, but when?
Not everything in life can be analyzed or have numbers thrown at it to make sense. If YOU are ok with the price/car/etc. go for it.
It might be better than what we think it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,546 Posts
I agree with everything said above.
First off, $7k is WAY too much!!!
The mileage alone, excludes that car from that price range.
The enthusiasts here valued my car at $4-5k. Click below to see it.
Oil pressure acts normal.
For temps, check that the fans come on as mine reaches in the hottest ambient temps about 90 and then cools off once fans kick on.
If it is great, which is not due to temps, offer $5k. I would offer $4k and if not accepted, walk.
You'd be getting the deal of the decade if Semis was to sell his car to you for $5. It is a correctly sorted car that has no excuses. Hell, IMHO it would be worth closer to 6k, knowing what's been done to it and the level of execution.

Jayare

Quoted for truth.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Personally if it looks in good nick I say go for it at $6k. You know it has a cooling issue doesnt sound major. You will love it - the CE is a temptress gets under your skin :)

Stormy Tiger's iPhone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts