Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello has anyone ever found a fix for the oil to coolant heat exchanger on the early 104 motors? it has a external leak, as well as oil in the coolant, the oil in the coolant might be caused by a faulty head gasket. i have the head of right now beacause of extrenal oil leaks but would like to fix this oil cooler of while the head is off.
Thanks adriaan

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,821 Posts
Adriaan,

This problem happened to my former 90 300CE a few years ago. At first I had concluded that the headgasket had blown as there was considerable oil in the coolant overflo tank. Turns out it was the small oil cooler under the intake manifold. I had it bypassed and never looked back, never had any oil in the overflo again.

I didn't do the work as the car was in the shop to have the head pulled etc. etc. Honest repair facility called to let me know that the real problem was blown seals in the cooler. As you are aware, the "cooler" is very small and doesn't have that great of an impact on oil temp.

Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey,,,,how did you bypass your oil cooler??? Have my car in the shop right now,,,,head gasket complete,,,,the shop just called and told me my oil cooler is shot.....please help,,,,thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts