Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300SEL
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1991 300SEL and last night my son pulled away from a stop sign and as the car went about 10 feet it ceased to move forward. The reverse works and when you put it into D or any other forward gear it sounds like it is going into gear but when you press on the accelerator pedal the engine revs but there is no forward motion. In reverse it works just as it always has though. I am not sure which automatic transmission that I have but at 70 mph the tach is at 3000 rpm, that is before the above incident happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. :)

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300SEL
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I always seem to experience the "goofy" problems that have no easy answer.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
37 Posts
I would drop the pan and replace the filter, get some new fluid and add some Lucas transmission treatment. That stuff works wonders for transmissions that just stop working. Another easy (cheap) diagnosis is to check the linkage, especially if your bushings are worn out. The valve body may not be indexing properly when you move the lever into the drive positions. These are simple and inexpensive experiments before the transmission shop. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts