Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Mercedes Benz 190e with 175k miles, the tires are relatively new.
Answer this QuestionI have done a wheel alignment around 6 months ago the mechanic told me that I needed to place the Idler Arm so i did. The car drifts to the right when going straight when going 0-~40 mph. When I go highway speeds 50+mph the car is hard to control, the steering wheel gets loose and the car drifts to the right and left.I did replace the Idler arm so im not sure if that is the problem or something else.

Can anyone help me please?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I have a 1991 Mercedes Benz 190e with 175k miles, the tires are relatively new.
Answer this QuestionI have done a wheel alignment around 6 months ago the mechanic told me that I needed to place the Idler Arm so i did. The car drifts to the right when going straight when going 0-~40 mph. When I go highway speeds 50+mph the car is hard to control, the steering wheel gets loose and the car drifts to the right and left.I did replace the Idler arm so im not sure if that is the problem or something else.

Can anyone help me please?
What is the speed rating of your tires? Have you checked your steering damper?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
have you changed the power steering fluid and filter yet?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A car just pulling to one side or the other is usually just an allignment issue, hitting a curb or pot holes, or one tire under inflated.

Wandering from side to side a bit could be the same as one tire takes over and points the car the in the direction it wants to go.

Wandering around AND loose steering at speed like you're describing could also be very dangerous. Not to mention lack of control, but you could have a loose connection on any of the various control arms.

Since you had it aligned only 6 months ago and I assume "I" was not you but the alignment shop replaced the Idler Arm, I would go back and have then take a look at it. The symptoms of wandering are usually the Idler Arm, but it could be any one of the arms or the ball joints as well.

A shop can't do an alignment if any of the control arms are loose or worn. IF you need to save a few bucks, you could have the shop identify again for you which parts are bad and you could replace them. You need a pickle fork and a pretty good size hammer to break the Heim Joints loose , you can rent that from your local parts house. Order any arms you may need on line.

Tell them you will bring it back and have them do the alignment of which you need to have done anytime a part is replaced. You can get Tow close enough to drive to the shop but you need to have it done on the proper equipment.

You will have to be the judge, but I won't go 50 mph with out at least a visual inspection. Pull the plastic cover off the bottom and have someone apply side to side steering wheel movement a just a bit and carefully watch each joint, if bad it's pretty obvious which one is bad.

A thought occured to me, as I have been on this group for some time now and with the age and mileage of some of the vehicles around here, there has been zippo talk of bad steering componants. Maybe our 190's are truly over-engineered. :)

You be careful until you get an inspection since you used !!!! it must be bad and nothing to mess with.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts