Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 190E, has had a trans issue, but now it's the motor! It sounded like a piston broke, or a stuck exhaust valve is something. Its the 2.3, but the engine is knocking around really bad, super low idle, and the motor shakes violently. I took the valve cover off, oddly simple. And I find broken pieces of plastic, just hanging around inside. Dark brown in colour, but either not supposed to be there, and or supposed to be in pieces. All I can do is ask and hope someone knows exactly what this is, and hopefully that it can be fixed. I really like my car, and don't wanna junk it if it's something simple you know? Thank you in advance for any input you may have on this :D

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How bad is that? I wanna take a motor pic, but here in cincinnati, I'm about ready to build an ark at this point. But if it's a guide rail, what would I do about that?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The broken plastic under the valve cover could also be parts from the vent baffle which is attached to the underside of the valve cover. What I would do is check the compression in each cylinder. This will confirm the condition of the valves and pistons. Good Luck

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would look into the guide rails, and the chain tensioner rail, it is made of aluminum but has a plastic piece that the chain rides on, if this part broke, and they do, it would result in the plastic pieces you mention as well as the chain being able to slap around in there and make a hell of a racket.

Changing this will require removing the timing chain cover and replacing the part. it is very fixable and just requires time and patience.

Good Luck

·
Registered
760 Posts
That was my first thought.
make that 3

it's funny one day my car was making scratching noises .. and ignored it and it stayed the same for a while.. then i figured it's the guides so i went to do it. And when i took the timing cover off, the chain was loose. My engine ran like that with no problems lmao. You could lift up the chain with your fingers. I am still in awe how it ran.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would I go about getting the timing cover off? Would that consist of pulling the front of the motor off? It's that way on my 86 Econoline 302, but just checking. Also, somewhere I heard that it could be a bent valve, would that explain some of the noise and running like hell?

·
Registered
488 Posts
How would I go about getting the timing cover off? Would that consist of pulling the front of the motor off? It's that way on my 86 Econoline 302, but just checking. Also, somewhere I heard that it could be a bent valve, would that explain some of the noise and running like hell?
Have you done a compression, or a cylinder leak-down test? Those will tell you more about whether the issue is valve related. Before tearing apart the engine I would do all of the testing possible.

In any event these tests will still not explain the plastic parts you described.

To remove the timing cover you would need to remove the radiator, fan, serpentine belt, water pump, belt tensioner, power steering pump, and harmonic balancer.... a lot of parts. I am attaching the relevant section from the service manual for your assistance.

Good Luck

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts