Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC (Wifes Car) Audi A8 (My Car)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife owns a 1990 560 SEC. Well its been snowing steady since Dec so the 560 Sec has not seen a lot of road time. I got in it today and the speedometer is not working. The rest of the cluster in working fine. Odometer is moving but the speedometer is dead. The car had not been driven for almost a month.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting. When my speedo used to go dead, the odo did too. It would seem that there's an issue with the electric sender wire. The easy thing to try would be to pull the cluster and loosen/retighten the three ground points right behind the cluster (on the body, not on the cluster). I'd also perhaps resolder the eight little connections in the plug on the back of the cluster. Then there's a check of the sending unit from the transmission, but I'm thinking that it's fine, as the odo moves. I guess if I were trying to deal with this I'd resolder any connections I see on the back of the cluster itself, or deeper in behind the speedo. Give it a shot, I guess. Make sure you disconnect the battery first though.

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
91 Posts
This is weird. I've had the same issue twice but both the odo and spedometer went out. Since I was able to find replacement ones at the JY I ended up swapping everything. If a screw needs tightening... just go ahead and replace the whole wall I say!

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC (Wifes Car) Audi A8 (My Car)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... Interesting. When my speedo used to go dead, the odo did too. It would seem that there's an issue with the electric sender wire. The easy thing to try would be to pull the cluster and loosen/retighten the three ground points right behind the cluster (on the body, not on the cluster). I'd also perhaps resolder the eight little connections in the plug on the back of the cluster. Then there's a check of the sending unit from the transmission, but I'm thinking that it's fine, as the odo moves. I guess if I were trying to deal with this I'd resolder any connections I see on the back of the cluster itself, or deeper in behind the speedo. Give it a shot, I guess. Make sure you disconnect the battery first though.
Thanks for the reply. That was the odd part. All the searches i did all seems to say when the speedometer went the odo did too.

Not to show my ignorance too much but where are the 3 ground points located on the body.... LOL :bowdown:

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Basically right behind the cluster. If you pull the cluster and look into the dash, you will see sound-insulating "carpet" that sits between the body firewall and the cluster itself. Lift this insulation and you will see three 10mm nuts in a vertical line, with about six brown ground wires going to each one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts