Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Coupe
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 1990 560SEC a few weeks back and so far, so good!

Am taking her to a local Benz shop to have a laundry list of maintenance items taken care of just to be on the safe side.

81.000 miles but 22 years old. Should I go ahead and have the timing belt replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Wow, she looks clean! Yes, given the age I would do the chain, guides, tensioner. The chain guides are the critical element.

The chrome fender arches are a matter of personal taste; or lack of. However, they are known to promote rust! fwiw

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many people place the chrome fender trims to cover the rust on the wheel wells. You may want to remove the chrome trims to check for the rust.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,119 Posts
Wow, that's a clean car. Yes to the chain and guides. Garages often say its not on the MB schedule but just ignore that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Do the chain guides. Don't wait.

For some reason, I like the chrome arches on a white car. On dark cars it's kind of garish, but on white, it seems to work.

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts
I have an '84 500sec Euro and when I got it, there were chrome arches (black car) and they just didn't look right. I removed all 4 and ther was some pretty good rust developing on the left rear lip. Fortunately, there was also a poorly done repair on that body panel so when that was fixed, so was the rust. Pull them off and check for rust at a minimum. Putting them back on or leaving them off is, of course, up to you.
dws

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Coupe
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right... Will replace the timing chain and guides.

I'm dividing and conquering. First, I'll do all the maintenance related stuff that I can't absolutely verify has been done. Second will be a couple small interior items (the latch is broken off the arm rest console, etc). Lastly I'll take care of the little rock chips and (drumroll, please!) have the chrome wheel arches removed. Going from feel and what little I can see there doesn't seem to be a rust issue but I know that there would have to be some crud under those things. I'll update with my progress.

Cross your fingers for what is waiting for me beneath that chrome!!!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I like the brushed aluminum w140 style wheels on your car.

I had them for a few years on mine (sunset 8/2009 near Fallon Nevada at Churchill county line)

before it got the AMG Penta wheels.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Coupe
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICE RIDE! And an especially good pic at sunset.

The wheels will have to be replaced. The guy who owned to car before me was no stranger to using the wheels as his curb feeler system... They're not awful but scuffed enough that they kind of drag the car down a bit.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
How to repl;ace THOSE wheels.

NICE RIDE! And an especially good pic at sunset.

The wheels will have to be replaced. The guy who owned to car before me was no stranger to using the wheels as his curb feeler system... They're not awful but scuffed enough that they kind of drag the car down a bit.
Thanks. i got mine at the Tire rack and had them drop shipped to the local tire installer and had a 4 wheel alignment done.

I believe you can look at the ASA replica w140 style wheels on tire rack for YOUR car, just configure 1990 560SEC. ASA are out of Korea, but they are a BBS subsidiary if I recall. they are high quality, I like the brushed aluminum over the chrome. And you will be starting out brand new. All bolts are included. I went 16" and it was fine. No spacers needed.

Get the right offset though.

I think it was about $1000 or so for all of it out the door. though I had to pick the center caps myself and you can choose the ones you like for abou5t $25 for a set of four off ebay.

·
Registered
'89 560SEC, '90 560SEL
681 Posts
I'm jealous, mine's white, but with Palomino interior - a combination I don't think matches that well. I really like the cream interior, to the point that I've considered hunting down a donor car. BTW cascade, I've got the same W140 style 16" rims. They came with the car and I'm not sure who made them, but the offset looks right. I'll have to dig up a picture. I'd like to find a good set of AMG 17" rims, but I'll probably keep the ones I've got regardless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts