Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I've posted a couple of questions. I just remembered that the back seat ashtray/ash tray on the driver's side doesn't pop up, heat up and the light doesn't work.

The passenger side has the light. I haven't tried to push the lighter in to see if it works, but I assume that it does because the light works.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on with it? I can take a photo of the ashtray/ash tray if it will help. I've popped it out of the door and tried to push the tiny button on the side of the ashtray/ash tray itself. It's difficult to make the lighter pop up from being pushed down.

I'm assuming it's the ashtray/ash tray it's self and not an electrical issue because the lights on all the other door and the driver light work, just this ashtray/ash tray doesn't work.

Thank you,

SmoothRider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Everyone:

I've posted a couple of questions. I just remembered that the back seat ashtray/ash tray on the driver's side doesn't pop up, heat up and the light doesn't work.

The passenger side has the light. I haven't tried to push the lighter in to see if it works, but I assume that it does because the light works.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on with it? I can take a photo of the ashtray/ash tray if it will help. I've popped it out of the door and tried to push the tiny button on the side of the ashtray/ash tray itself. It's difficult to make the lighter pop up from being pushed down.

I'm assuming it's the ashtray/ash tray it's self and not an electrical issue because the lights on all the other door and the driver light work, just this ashtray/ash tray doesn't work.

Thank you,

SmoothRider

I just checked both ashtrays/ash trays and the passenger side works. Smoke comes out after it pops up. I did notice that the drivers side lighter is facing the back seat of the driver and the passenger side is facing the front seat of the back passenger (incidentally all the lights work on all doors, so the lights make no difference as to whether the lighter works or not). If both ashtrays/ash trays are out, they are exactly the same, meaning the lighters are on the same side, so the lighters face front and back and not the same way in the back. That seems odd to me. Like this *\ \. Lighter at the top of the slant on the driver's side and lighter at the bottom on the passenger side. Does my diagram make sense? Does everyone else's 1990 560 SEL back seat lighter's face the same way? NOW I'M CURIOUS after all these years. I never noticed this before, huh?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,438 Posts
They may have used the same part from side to side. A good thing to do on these is replacing all the fuses one by one. Cleaning all the contacts in the fuse box perhaps with a fine nail file and giving it a gentle vacuum, would a good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They may have used the same part from side to side. A good thing to do on these is replacing all the fuses one by one. Cleaning all the contacts in the fuse box perhaps with a fine nail file and giving it a gentle vacuum, would a good idea.
Hey Ian:

Like your name too! It's also for sentimental reasons.

Thank you also for your help. I attempted to remove the passenger ashtray/ash tray to NO AVAIL! It is meant to stay put I guess.

I wanted to try and swap them out to see if the driver's tray would work and vice versa, but I didn't want to break the working one.

Something I noticed was the working tray seemed to be more "in" the slot than the nonworking tray. SO, perhaps the nonworking tray may not be properly set in as it should be?

The knuckleheads at the storage warehouse was NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH ANYTHING. I said, "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, DO YOU HEAR ME?!!!!" But of course, EVERYTHING WAS MOVED AND ALL OF THE ELECTRONIC SEATS AND HEADRESTS WERE NOT WHERE I LEFT THEM... so I am assuming they touched the tray and now it's not working. They may have broken it, which I think they used it bc they are all smokers. I'm not a smoker, so I didn't use it. I was working when I put it in storage with those stupid knuckleheads.

I don't know if I can replace the ashtray/ash tray. It's a standard light gray that came out in mass production that year. In fact, there just happens to be a stretch limo model that is in the parking garage that looks very similar to mine only super long. That Benz only moves 1x a year and it has a piece hanging down in the driver's front underside meaning it too has the same need of an exhaust replacement... just like mine.

Plus, the back window was down for a few weeks, which happened to my car as well, but mine was in a closed garage at the time. I used suction cups at the bottom to hold the window closed until I could get it in the shop for the repair.

That stretch had the exact same "injuries" as my Benz I noticed. I wished the owner had thought of the suction cups to put at the bottom of the window to hold it closed because it rained and while it was parked in a closed top garage, it is an open aired garage. The suction cups did not completely seal the window shut, but it closed the window into the well where nothing could get inside. It helped quite a bit actually.

I'll have to figure out the fuses. I'm not savvy with fuses, so I'll have to take it to someone to get that figured out. I don't know if that's under the dash or at the tray it's self. And I'm not sure what to file. That goes beyond my scope of things. I did see a diagram of the fuse online and it was WAY OVER MY HEAD. I did get the tray out and it was a nightmare popping the lighter out. I had to use the back side of a knife blade to pull it up to get it out of the slot. I will post photos.

This afternoon I have to get power steering fluid for my minivan. It's LOW. I checked it early this AM. "CARS, CARS, CARS..." courtesy of Motley Crue. More like "BILLS, BILLS, BILLS..." Or "WORK, WORK, WORK" or it can be "LEARN, LEARN, LEARN" and "FUN, FUN, FUN" when things are up and running in "mint condish," courtesy of Ned Schneevely (Jack Black) from "School of Rock," LOL...

If I post photos of the engine of my Benz can someone help point out what some of the fluids are and what to get? The owner's manual only reads: RECOMMENDED TO GET MERCEDES BENZ TRANSMISSION FLUID or something similar. I did find that DOT 4 is a Mercedes Benz brake fluid equal. I went to Auto Zone and asked what a particular fluid was in my Benz and the associate had NO IDEA.

He was very condescending anyway. I didn't like him. There was another older gentleman who was very kind though. He doesn't work very often, unfortunately. I purchased an expensive battery at Advanced Auto Parts for my minivan. They had a very good recommendation on Yelp and Google, so I patronized their business. Half the employees were very kind and the other half only did what they needed to get by and that was it. I'm not sure I trust their knowledge on Mercedes equivalent products though. I trust everyone here who have vintage Mercedes.

Thanks so much for all of your help. It's very much appreciated. Photos to come ;),

SmoothRider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ian:

I'll take a picture of the fuse diagram I found online. I don't think it's for the same year Benz as mine, but it's nearly the same year. To me, it's SO CONFUSING. You maybe able to figure it out. To me, it's a bunch of lines and things. I know hair, nails and colors, but this like going to Mars, LOL. I can't tell what it is, but I printed it anyway, hoping I'd figure it out some day, LOL. You never know. A lightbulb or fuse may go on in my brain! o_O

SmoothRider.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,438 Posts
Oh, doesn't look familiar. If you take off the lid of your fuse box, yours should be on the underside. If not, MB will sell you one to match your exact car if you go to a dealer with your chassis number. (Also called VIN - Vehicle Identification Number.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, doesn't look familiar. If you take off the lid of your fuse box, yours should be on the underside. If not, MB will sell you one to match your exact car if you go to a dealer with your chassis number. (Also called VIN - Vehicle Identification Number.)
Oh, good to know. I should look inside my owner's manual. I browse it looking for brake fluids and transmission fluids and light bulbs, but not fuses and things like that. It could be in there. I didn't know that the dealer would provide the information as well. They didn't seem to want to help me much when I called them for help the last time. Thank you for the help. Learned something new today. YAY!

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,883 Posts
The rear door ashtrays are held into place with 2 metal tabs, if you push down and pull the assembly toward you it will pop out. Then you will see 2 contacts on the side of the housing the ashtray fits into. Take a volt meter and see it you have 12Volts at the 2 contacts, if you do then its an issue with the ashtray itself. Personally I think with your car there are far more serious issues to deal with at this point in time. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear door ashtrays are held into place with 2 metal tabs, if you push down and pull the assembly toward you it will pop out. Then you will see 2 contacts on the side of the housing the ashtray fits into. Take a volt meter and see it you have 12Volts at the 2 contacts, if you do then its an issue with the ashtray itself. Personally I think with your car there are far more serious issues to deal with at this point in time. Good luck!!!
Yeah, like the exhaust. Just thought I'd ask about the ashtray/ash tray while I was on the board. Nothing to lose as this point I guess.

Is the voltage meter the same thing as a "digital multimeter"?

I happen to have one of those things.

Thanks a bunch!

SmoothRider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ian: Guess what! One of my three cigarette lighters went out in my mini and I looked at a video online and I saw that my digital mulitimeter WILL help me in this case! Now to figure out where my fuse box is located in my Benz and WHERE TO PURCHASE THE FUSES. I suppose my local automotive store would have one those. And to think I was going to return the digital mulltimeter! It's going to come in handy after all! Now to call the muffler shop for a quote and to find the cleanser to prep for the 08090 3M spray adhesive hood liner to stick. Thanks for your help. SmoothRider

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,438 Posts
An example. The copper tipped ones are better, they often come in plain metal and corrosion can occur.

The fuse box is the large black rectangular lidded thing with a latch, up by the windscreen area of things in the engine compartment.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,478 Posts
An example. The copper tipped ones are better, they often come in plain metal and corrosion can occur.

[/URL]

The fuse box is the large black rectangular lidded thing with a latch, up by the windscreen area of things in the engine compartment.
Like Ian said, the tin topped fuses then to corrode. I use a small brass brush to clean the fuse box contacts.

SmoothRider, check the SERVICE MANUAL & INDEX sticky on top, for the Mercedes Benz USA = MBUSA hosted (free for US residents) W126 service manual. Requires acrobat flash.

If you are talking about the rear door ash trays, I have both right and left from a late model 560SEL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VHi Teutone:

Thanks for the advice and sorry I was AWOL/MIA for a while. I do not have the capacity to use ACROBAT FLASH. For some reason it isn't compatible with my computer. I've tried over and over and over and over and I get a message from my virus scanner that the program downloaded is a virus? I've turned off the virus scanner while downloading and it makes no difference. It doesn't work. HOWEVER, I am going to try the contacts on the ashtray as the the Multimeter, provided I understand how it works (THANK YOU MAGICBIGDADDY for the great info!). The instructions that came with the meter is WORTHLESS. It didn't even explain that there were caps on the ends and they do not insert into the holes of the device. I had to find how it works via YOUTUBE video. Love YOUTUBE, life saver!

SmoothRider

PS Update on the exhuast situation when I can find the original post requesting advice. THANK YOU EVERYONE! INFORMATION HAS BEEN INVALUABLE! I have a 1990 560 SEL, does it make a difference with the ashtray design?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts