Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched around on these forums and couldn't find anything that would resolve this problem i've been having.

I have recently changed my battery and my soft top has probably only been down once since then, but now when i hold down the button, it just flashes constantly non stop and the windows do not go down when i hold the button or the front top latches do not unclip.

When i push the button forward i can hear the back storage part pushing down and when i let go it kind of releases itself like the back latches are not clipped properly, but i've checked and the latches are closed.

The roll bar goes works perfectly and there is still over a liter of hydralic fluid.

Last week the top was going up and down perfectly, but now when i hold the button down nothing happens and the led just flashes constantly.

I manually unlached both the back and front and tried seeing if anything happened when i tried, but nothing happened at all the light just kept flashing constantly

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi Manvirg133 after changing the battery did you re-sync the side windows before operating the soft top?
I'd try to re-sync them just to be on the safe side and then see what happens.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Manvirg133 after changing the battery did you re-sync the side windows before operating the soft top?
I'd try to re-sync them just to be on the safe side and then see what happens.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
I have re synced both the side windows and i have done everything i could think of but nothing :confused:

·
Registered
1990 500SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have a full tank of fluid before ? If you had (a full tank) and it is not full now, then there is a leak.
i think i filled it up about 2 years ago, but i have not spotted a leak yet anywhere

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
Did you had your engine running ? It helps if the battery is kind of weak.
The capacity is 1.25 liters, and hydraulic fluid does not evaporate. Is it just a bit low or quite a bit low ?

·
Registered
1990 500SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you had your engine running ? It helps if the battery is kind of weak.
The capacity is 1.25 liters, and hydraulic fluid does not evaporate. Is it just a bit low or quite a bit low ?
its not really low at all, i think its 3/4 full

and i've tried with the car on, with it in #2 but nothing seems to work

ive also looked in the cars book and couldn't find anything about syncing the windows but i've pressed the windows down and held it for 6 secs and then put it up and held for 6 secs and then did the same thing with the other side.

is the window supposed to go down alittle and back up when the door opens and closes? cause ive seen that with other mercedes but ive never seen mine doing that even after ive synced it

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Yours is a 1990, so the windows should not drop the 1/2" when opening the doors like in later models. I think syncing windows for your car may involve turning the steering wheels (I am not sure, so you should read your manual or do a advanced search on the subject in this R129 Forum).
I notice you are in Canada? Is your car imported from a Japan ?

·
Registered
1990 500SL
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yours is a 1990, so the windows should not drop the 1/2" when opening the doors like in later models. I think syncing windows for your car may involve turning the steering wheels (I am not sure, so you should read your manual or do a advanced search on the subject in this R129 Forum).
I notice you are in Canada? Is your car imported from a Japan ?
thanks im looking through the whole manual right now

the cars actually from florda i brought it over here about 2 years ago and ive never had a problem with the roof until now

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,232 Posts
I manually unlached both the back and front and tried seeing if anything happened when i tried, but nothing happened at all the light just kept flashing constantly
Reading codes should quickly and accurately identify the cause of the problem. The procedure is here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1266535-diagnostics-sl-pre-94-a.html? Because this car is a '90-'93, just a wire or paper clip is needed; also, cars of this vintage do not synchronize their windows.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Manvirg133
Just follow the instructions from BobTerry, he is the MASTER EXPERT of our R129.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts