Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting the front suspension refreshed. Lower ball joints are new. New Bilstein shocks. But the inner side of the tires has been eaten up (camber). Also, there is a groaning side when the vehicle is turned to the right.

What parts should I replace? What are the part numbers? Again, apart from Mercedes OE , what brand is recommended? I know Lemfoerder may be the alternate brand. Any other brands which are acceptable? I do have a set of Moog Tie Rod Ends which I plan to use unless you experts guide me to the contrary.

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
740 Posts
TRW is a good brand if you cannot get Mercedes or Lemforder. These jobs are knuckle busters so you really do not want to skimp on parts, and for the love of all things holy do NOT use URO parts...

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
189 Posts
Good collection of DIY videos on suspension:

Loose joints should of course be replaced. Maybe the rubbers on lower control arms and upper arms depending on their condition.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
211 Posts
Well, I have just done a refresh on the front suspension that started with a groan from both sides when turning. Don't get the car back until later today, but the groan is gone. Here are the parts used (without number because our cars are different, I think) but hope this useful:
2 Meyle 14mm shims (Thailand)
2 MB front insulator pads (Germany)
2 Lesjofor front coil springs (Sweden)
4 Meyle sway bar bushings (China)
2 Moog upper control arms (Taiwan)
2 Moog problem solver ball joints (USA hooray)
2 ABS sensors (Germany)
2 Febi bushings
Will post all the work after I recover from the bill in the "What have you done...." thread.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Stewpot - What are the shims for? And why change the coil springs and ABS sensors?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question now is what part manufacturer to buy. I absolutely always avoid URO parts.

Lemforder is of course the first preference. But what does this forum think of Meyle parts? Or Febi? And are Deutsche Parts any good. Will get the job once and hope that is it for the rest of the life of y 420SEL. It is an alternate weekend driver anyways.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
I just asked the same of Stewpot on another thread. While Meyle is a German company, they're having many parts outsourced now to Asia. If OEM standards were followed, it would be fine. I've read/heard from others lately their rubber parts just don't last but a year or two. Febi could be headed in the same direction; German-owned, but some recent parts outsourced and not up to par. I wonder if any enterprising Mercedes enthusiasts can start producing OEM quality rubber for those that are NLA.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
172 Posts
I have had great success with Moogs problem solver line over the decades.

One note, most of these old well considered brands now have TWO lines, cheap and not cheap. I don't know about Moog, but AC Delco's 'good' line is 'Professional', cheap line is 'Advantage'. Other old domestic companies are doing this too.

Always look!

That said I've been leaning towards OEMs on critical parts on the MB, for now at least while it's still really clean.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts