Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't hit a lick when it gets cold outside. But, on a warm day, it fires right up. I did a search and found that the cold start valve is suspect but could find no picture of one on a 300SE. Does anyone have a pic where this valve is located. I think it's towards the firewall on the driver side with a blue connector but since the car isn't with me right now, I need to get a pic of the suspected issue.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Won't hit a lick when it gets cold outside. But, on a warm day, it fires right up. I did a search and found that the cold start valve is suspect but could find no picture of one on a 300SE. Does anyone have a pic where this valve is located. I think it's towards the firewall on the driver side with a blue connector but since the car isn't with me right now, I need to get a pic of the suspected issue.
Thanks!!
Try to do simple thing first. Try to start the car after spraying engine start fluid into the throttle body in the cold morning, if engine start fine then check voltage at the cold injector harness while cranking the engine in cold morning. If you see normal voltage then replace the cold injector as you said.

Sahai

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to do simple thing first. Try to start the car after spraying engine start fluid into the throttle body in the cold morning, if engine start fine then check voltage at the cold injector harness while cranking the engine in cold morning. If you see normal voltage then replace the cold injector as you said.

Sahai
He has a scrapper 91 300SE he's going to remove the part from and trade it out, since I'm not up there to help him. Through other pics I found, we were able to locate the valve. I'll keep you posted on progress. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just for a thought. The V8s need both the cold start valve and the cold start regulator to get started. Yours may too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cold start valve is located in the middle of the head. Look for the solo injector with 2 retaining screws. It's a simple solenoid operated valve and can be tested out of the car with test leads.

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cold start valve is located. He removed the cold start valve off his 1991 300SE that tested good. So, he put it on the 1990 300SE and no dice. The old one has been tested. It's good. This morning, he went outside in 20º weather and it fired right up. He said he ground on it yesterday until he thought he was going to run the battery down and this morning it hit like there was no problem at all.

A cold start regulator was mentioned by NordRhein. Is there one on the 300SE and if so, where is it located.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
A cold start regulator was mentioned by NordRhein. Is there one on the 300SE and if so, where is it located.
Thanks!![/QUOTE]
------------
Older csrs used a mechanical regulator V8 or I6. AS I understand it on later cars Mercedes used a temp sensor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nord??? Hellooo

Thanks!!
------------
Older csrs used a mechanical regulator V8 or I6. AS I understand it on later cars Mercedes used a temp sensor.[/QUOTE]

I posted what you are looking for on your 300SE 2 messages above yours..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
------------
Older csrs used a mechanical regulator V8 or I6. AS I understand it on later cars Mercedes used a temp sensor.
I posted what you are looking for on your 300SE 2 messages above yours..[/QUOTE]
------------------
He said he got a cold start valve from a 1991 and he tested his old cold start valve and it tested good. If you want to ignore cold start enrichment on these engines well... fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts