Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 1990 300SE. Yesterday, on my way home, I noticed smoke coming from my hood. I get home, popped the hood, and no smoke from the engine. I realize the smoke is coming from the actual hood! There is a small electrical connection attached to the wiper fluid hose (inside the hood: passenger side: wrapped in rubber) and the smoke was coming from that area. There is also wiper fluid leaking from that spot and on the top side of the hood. Don't know what that electrical unit is (washer fluid pump?) and has anyone had the same problem?

Thanx!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello,
It is probably the little heating element in one of the washer nozzles or the wire going to them shorting out. A while back that happened to one of mine. I never got around to fixing it. It still sprayed fine but could freeze up in really bad conditions.

Colin Miller

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
welcome Thaszar. By filling out your profile you could make answering some questions easier. Use the control panel button in the upper right corner to do so.
Using the search this forum function would give you tons of info.

gr J

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I disengage the two plugs (which I already did) then I shouldn't have any problems? It is just a heating element...correct?

After unplugging the two 'plugs' I tested the wipers and fluid and everything is in working order. No smoke this morning but it was windy and cold. Hopefully this fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks for filling out.
My first thought though was: Smoking hood... what optioncode was that?
Maybe you have a tiny leak in the washertube and this gets heated on the heater-element? I don't know about the weather in Dallas, but in the colder climates the heating function is great!

gr J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts