Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to stick a Pioneer into my kid's 300E 2.6...

this car has just the dash and rear deck speakers, no front door bass boosters. the stereo that came in it was your basic Becker cassette deck (and was dead, and removed by PO)

looking at the wiring diagrams in the service manual, I believe this is the right version...

but kind of odd, R+ is shown as going to the left speakers, and L+ to the right? am I going to have to grok this out the hard way and ignore this diagram? (I have a DVM and know how to use it, and I know I can buzz out the speakers with a 9V batt... but I'd rather know what I'm doing in advance).

also, does anyone know, where the black common(-) to the front and rear speakers is joined? I'm guessing worst case, I get under the dash, and run a new - to the fronts and use the existing - wire for the rear, but I'd as soon avoid having to do too much digging up under the dash.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,929 Posts
The nightmare in the entire OEM setup is the fader knob. Beyond stupid the way it all goes together. This is the best advice... Run new wires from all the speakers. Otherwise, you'll end up shouting at the computer, the wiring diagram and any loved ones near by..

Jayare

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I fully intend to bypass the fader knob and wire the speakers direct to my 4x50W* Pioneer. if I can find the place where the common 'black' wires of the front and rear are joined, then there's no real point in running new wires other than to these junctions. I'd rather avoid having to lift the carpet etc to get wires from the center console to the rear speakers.

* yes, I know this is 50W 'music power', and more like 15-20W RMS, still more than adequate power for a car.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update: OH. the ETM pages on the Service Manual CD answer my question. X48G and X48H are 'behind radio'. well, -thats- easy. so I just need to find those, buzz them out to be sure which is what, and run wires from where the speakers were tied to the fader and I'm gold.

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300e 5 speed
219 Posts
Just did a new head unit yesterday. to bypass the fader knob you have to find the speaker wires wear they meet which is deep in the harness. Just take off your speaker covers (easy DIY) and find the colors of the speaker wire. If your going to throw in a head unit, your son would appreciate new speakers too. I found that pioneer makes for an easy fit and a decent speaker thats affordable, also another easy DIY.

Cheers and Good Luck
Scott

PS: 15-20 rms is what it says but check its CEA standards because theyre measured at different voltage. I did my whole sound system, 4 new speakers run through an alpine power pack that can deliver 50*4 rms, the new headunit with bluetooth, so in CA i have hands free driving (auto answer neat feature), a sub running off an amplifier to give me more than enough bass. Total cost was around 600. But I also used dynamat (vibration reducer) try and get clean bass. Im a kid and you will blow out your current factory speakers if your kid listens to rap loud.

Not saying take my route, just somethings to think about like maybe adding an alpine power pack, or 4 new speakers to give him cleaner sound. but hey these around 3000 dollar cars, so i understand not wanting to put in the money. It doesn't make sense, i did because i plan to drive this car into the ground as its 1 of 883 imported.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its for my daughter, and she's not at all into loud. she mostly likes folk music and folk-pop stuff.

I assume by the wires 'meet deep in the harness', you're referring to the black/common/negative side? afaik, I can get to the 4 speaker's + leads right at the fader, snip, splice, done.

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,536 Posts
Are you going to run 2 more + wires from radio to the fader area or to the front/dash speakers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
its for my daughter, and she's not at all into loud. she mostly likes folk music and folk-pop stuff.

I assume by the wires 'meet deep in the harness', you're referring to the black/common/negative side? afaik, I can get to the 4 speaker's + leads right at the fader, snip, splice, done.
Sorry I misread that this was for your son.

Thats good that shes not into loud rap music like i am, because thats the most expensive music to reproduce.

Yeah sounds like you know what your doing, splice that bad boy up and get her happy with a new head unit and you will be father of the year.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my plan is to run the 4 plus wires from the stereo to the fader area where I'll splice those on in place of the fader, and to run the 4 minus wires from the stereo to wherever the junctions turn out to be between the front and rear negative/commons. I'll use the harness that comes with the Pioneer if its long enough, otherwise, splice on additional wire as needed. I tend to solder and shrinkwrap any splices on my stereo installs rather than use crimps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
shrinkwrap is the way to go! crimping is dangerous for one if not done right because the caps can fall off and if not wrapped in electrical tape its possible for wires to touch each other. Not likely but possible. Your plan is good to go.

May want to get some speaker wire, my speaker wires were pretty deep in the harness, had to attach some wire to get it back to the head unit, but hopefully thats not the case with yours.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another thing I like to do on splices is cut each wire a different length so the splices are not all on top of each other, but staggered in the combined cable. I use inline 'western union' style splicing, rather than "T" twisted ones...

and not...

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats exactly what I do, keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The nightmare in the entire OEM setup is the fader knob. Beyond stupid the way it all goes together. This is the best advice... Run new wires from all the speakers. Otherwise, you'll end up shouting at the computer, the wiring diagram and any loved ones near by..

Jayare
as an update.... when I dug all the wires out from behind the factory stereo, I found not only the little black and white plugs that go to the fader, but another pair of the same style speaker plugs that were plugged into barrels... lo and behold, this second set of speaker connectors WAS THE FRONT SPEAKERS. awesome, nothing to isolate there, snip, attach to front amplifier outputs.

(ok, I should mention... 3 of my 4 OEM speakers were totally dead. open coils, even ohmed right at the speakers... so I had to score 4 new speakers, ah well. fronts came from another forum member who was selling a pair of wonderful sounding Rainbow SL120's that are a drop in solution, and rears were $20 from a guy parting a 300E out...)

now, the rears... I was going to start snipping wires at the fader til I found the rears and jump them to the line from the dash to the fader.... but wait. hook rear channels of amp up to factory wiring, and now the dashboard fader works for just the rears. anywheres from 'center' to all the way back is 100% rears, and anywhere forward of 'center' fades the rears out, which is a lot easier than digging into the pioneer audio level menus to turn the rears down when you have back seat passengers...

*schweeeet*.

oh. wiring diagram color codes were useless. 50% or more wrong. basic power wiring was correct, but speakers were all different, as was wiring at the fader.

·
Premium Member
10 GLK 350, 09 ML 320 BlueTec, 05 C230 Coupe
808 Posts

Jayare
I have been around long enough to know that when you say run new wires to the speakers - you mean run new wires to the speakers! I am going to stop now and save myself some serious grief.

Thanks for sage advice - I was already starting to mutter under my breath :).

Cheers - Eric

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hah, old thread.

a comment on my post about splices...

I've since gotten a proper 'ratchet' crimper, so the last few stereo installs I've done, I used crimps and they came out just great. every crimp is snug and secure. way way faster.

and, the dash fader developed a case of the 'scratchies' (also one of the window switches was really erratic)... disassembled them both, cleaned all the contact surfacees with a little bit of DeOxit D100 oil and a soft pencil eraser, reassembled, and voila, window switch is now 100% and no more scratchy from the fader knob.

·
Premium Member
10 GLK 350, 09 ML 320 BlueTec, 05 C230 Coupe
808 Posts
I have those ratchet crimpers as well - work like a charm.

Now I am intrigued by your use of the wiring to the fader to power the speakers and keep things rolling. I have those barrels as you describe - so I am going to figure some of this out and if it works then I will go with it.

I have not thought everything through though because I also want to figure out a solution where I have a USB port so passengers can charge their phones. This is my Daughters car and I want to keep it retro but with some modern features.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for the USB charger ports, get these, and mount them wherever is convenient (in the glovebox? behind a panel replacing the rear seat ashtray?

Monoprice USB car charger 2.1A

these will charge any USB device, including newer/bigger things like ipads, android tablets that need 2 amps (classic USB was only 0.5 amp).

*cheap*. they are very compact for a cigar-plug, too. you probably could crack them open and use the little PCBA inside but it might be harder to get the physical USB port opening just so.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh, make sure to wire them to a switched power source so they go off with the key, or they may slowly drain your battery even if not in use...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts