Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E 4Matic, 1987 560SL
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! While I've been over on the R107 side, I thought I'd introduce myself here as well. I have owned this 1990 300E 4matic since 1994. It had been primarily my wife's car until we took it off of the road in 2014. It has been sitting in the garage since, collecting dust (on the outside), and mildew (on the inside). I couldn't take the sight of it's forlorn appearance any longer, especially since it has been so good to us over the years, so I have decided to bring it back to life, and on the road!
The other day I put some gas in the tank, installed a new battery, and turned the ignition key. In true Benz style, it fired right up, and sounded just as it did the last time it ran. Understandably, there are a few glitches that need to be addressed (brakes, exhaust leaks, and more), but this 124 will be on the road again!

Today I pulled it out of it's garage bay (no brake pressure, and I didn't want to wind up in the woods ) and gave it a very well deserved, and overdue bath.

I thought I'd also post a pic of the winter wheels, and tires it was wearing when put away. The tires are Nokia Hakka 10's for those who may remember them.
DSC02044.JPG
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02045.JPG
DSC02046.JPG

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,242 Posts
Does the 4Matic system function 100%? If not give me a jingle with symptoms.

Kevin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the offer, Kevin! Chances are that I will be in touch at some point. Right now there is no 4matic, although it was working when I parked it. The line between the 4matic reservoir, and the pump had been leaking when I parked it, and the reservoir now has just a small amount of fluid. Also, the power steering/hydraulics pump itself had just started making an internal noise. I picked up a rebuilt replacement pump, and will be installing it shortly, along with a new line, then bleed the system.

I also need to address the brakes, as there is no pressure. I'm going to flush, and bleed the system, for starters, and check all calipers, as well as the lines. I have a feeling that a number of things will need to be replaced because of the years sitting, and for safety.

Time hasn't been kind to the exhaust system either, so I'll need to address that.

When I first started it the idle speed was at 2,000 rpm. I lubricated the linkage, and cleaned the idle control switch connector, and pins. That seemed to work well. The next time I started it idle speed was 1,200 rpm cold, and dropped to 800 after a few minutes.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Dave,
You leaking line probably put the level in the hydraulic resevoir to the 'point of no return'.....you have air in the system now. Especially given that the system was working when parked. However, I can't say that with 100% certainty because these cars HATE to sit....they're made to be driven all the time if possible.

I have my procedure for bleeding the 4Matic system and reading the 4Matic brain codes in PDF. Contact me in PM with your email and I'll send it....too big to send through this forum.

As far as brake bleeding, don't forget there is a partition in the MS that makes for a very small back brake chamber. And to keep fluid in that chamber, you have to fill the MS all the way up to the top. Most newbies to this, bleed all the fluid out of the rear chamber, look at the MS and think there's still fluid in there. There is, but it's for the front brakes...lol.

Power bleeder is recommended and the way the FSM says to do it. Turn the ignition on (not starting the car) so that the ABS pump is energized and the bleeding goes better.

Kevin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your 4Matic PDF, Kevin! It is very informative, and well written. It will make bleeding the system a breeze. Good point regarding bleeding the brakes too. Power bleeder would be the only way to go since I will be bleeding them solo. My wife would have no interest in pumping the brake pedal.

Dave

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you! The color is diamond blue metallic. I don't know the color of the lower cladding off hand.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I have ice blue metallic....probably the same thing. My exterior paint has faded so much that it's more green now than blue.....but it's done that evenly all over the car. I love both the faded color and the true color that is still in the door jams. My dream is to have the whole car painted someday in the original color.

I had my car parked out of the way over at my sister-in-law's and they managed to hit it with another car. She is like 'possessed' in auto/truck ownership and has all her bodywork and painting done up at the prison to save money.

Immediately, she defected to having it repaired there. I've seen their shop and their 'help'....no thanks. I eventually defected to having the front bumper repaired and painted there, but I'd bring just the bumper in. It's the lower cladding color.

First time at bat, they painted to match the exterior color. Second time at bat they got it reasonably correct. One time when I was there, they had a drug bust with the inmates outside of the shop. I'm surprised I got as far as I did with them.....lol.

Moral of the story is with relatives, shirttail or otherwise, turn it over to the insurance company and take your licks with the family.

Kevin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a shame that someone backed into your TE, especially since you parked it out of everybody's way to begin with. I think I would have passed on prisoners doing paintwork, but it sounds like your SIL persisted in saying how good they were, etc.

I believe that "ice blue" and "diamond blue" are similar colors. Apparently the lower body cladding color my car is "andorblau" (blue).

After removing the belt this morning, and finding nothing wrong with the power steering pump, I turned my attention to the water pump. Sure, enough, I was able to duplicate the metal to metal contact noise by rocking the pulley back, and forth. There is play in the shaft at the rear of the water pump. I'm also going to replace the power steering pump anyway as I've had a new one on hand for a while. New water hoses, o rings, and belt as well, since everything is opened up.

·
Registered
W124
4,832 Posts
While in there, check the fan idler pulley for noise/wear as well as any of the little idlers on the tensioner or elsewhere in the belt drive. You might do well changing out the tensioner just because its probably old and nearly shot as well.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
It's a shame that someone backed into your TE, especially since you parked it out of everybody's way to begin with. I think I would have passed on prisoners doing paintwork, but it sounds like your SIL persisted in saying how good they were, etc.

I believe that "ice blue" and "diamond blue" are similar colors. Apparently the lower body cladding color my car is "andorblau" (blue).

After removing the belt this morning, and finding nothing wrong with the power steering pump, I turned my attention to the water pump. Sure, enough, I was able to duplicate the metal to metal contact noise by rocking the pulley back, and forth. There is play in the shaft at the rear of the water pump. I'm also going to replace the power steering pump anyway as I've had a new one on hand for a while. New water hoses, o rings, and belt as well, since everything is opened up.
You're exactly right. First thing my SIL said when she came out of the house to see the damage was, "Well, you sure picked a bad place to park around here!" Never got an apology from the driver who hit it or my SIL. I went along with my SIL for awhile and then angered by the delays & BS, I found out I had waited too long to claim on insurance. So basically, I was trapped.

The guy running the shop at the prison is good, but he's obligated to let the inmates do as much of the work as possible. After the first color match debacle, I think he was more involved. I tooled around for almost four months with that broken bumper....just made the car look trashy and people assumed I was a bad owner/driver. Along with the three ft crack in my windshield that Safelite did....it was looking poorly...lol.

Andy is right.....since you're in there, I'd sure replace that idler pulley. It's just one simple bearing.....probably could be bought at a bearing house and you wouldn't have to fret about aftermarket issues. Same on the tensioner.... the rubber fatigues and things get sloppy. It's not cheap though and I'd sure go OE if you could.

Kevin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You're right, guys. I should replace those items while I have everything opened up. I will likely go OE. I had to replace the aftermarket front subframe bushings on the 107 after they collapsed 4 months after I installed them. I wasn't happy about having to go through that again so soon. I picked up the replacement set at my Benz dealer. No problems since.

It's too bad that the whole episode had to play itself out that way, Kevin.

Andy, I see that you are on L.I. I am as well.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Thanks....I got over it...the car, not the SIL....lol.

When I first got my original car back from the ex and joined this forum.....I was buying "OEM" parts from vendors and eBay. What a crock...almost everything failed prematurely, even though I paid almost OE prices. If the aftermarket pieces were just as good, I'd be the first to recommend them, but 95% of the time, they are not. I call "OEM" aftermarket because that's what they are. Mercedes doesn't stand behind them and the manufacturer has license to build them anyway they want. All they can claim is that they were the original manufacturer of the part. Big deal....it's not like they are on an honor system.

Lots of the members in here are flipping cars and so they don't keep them long enough to see gross aftermarket failure. And they wouldn't tell ya if they did fail...lol.

Kevin

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
151 Posts
The paint code on that Andor Blue is 5301.
I bought mine in April, 2000. I never get tired of it. It is always a treat to climb in and go anywhere.
How did you get the fan-clutch off? Did you lock the fan pulley hole from the rear?
I'

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A coupe! very nice. Any more pics? I have always liked the look of 124 coupes. Yes, Andor Blue 5301. I had my touch up bottle out yesterday, trying to figure out the color. 5301 appeared at the end of the "part number" printed on the bottle, but no name. It took a bit of searching on the computer to find it.

I haven't gone beyond removing the belt at this point. I'm not sure if I will need to remove the fan, or not. I should find out soon enough since I ordered the water pump today.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,462 Posts
4Matic First Generation Schematic (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
The paint code on that Andor Blue is 5301.
I bought mine in April, 2000. I never get tired of it. It is always a treat to climb in and go anywhere.
How did you get the fan-clutch off? Did you lock the fan pulley hole from the rear?
I' View attachment 2617196
Yes, you need a tool to fish into the back hole to 'lock' the pulley. You can make one or buy one. There's been pics posted in the past. Kent at Mercedes Source has them.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Nice diagram, Paul! There must be a key to go with the numbers somewhere. Look like 15 represents the mechanical shutoff for the 4Matic, so this is a pre1992 system diagram. A1 shows the early economy gauge thing. That might even be the original 4Matic diagram as it was introduced?

Kevin

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
151 Posts
Thanks Kevin, thanks benztag. Removing the fan, with center clutch attached, gives you working room- it is worth the effort to get it out of the way. Clean the clutch, while it's off.

Yes,- Kent @ mercedessource has a $7. video of the operation, I'll buy that.
Have watched ever youtube video about removing the fan-clutch- one guy used a 4mm allen key; there is a Locking Notch (right below the 'V' in that aluminum pipe) as shown at the center of this photo. The bottom of an L-shaped tool fits in the notch & the tip goes into a hole on the back of the pulley, locking it so that the 8mm bolt on the front of the pulley can be released.

Then, loosen (one half turn) the adjuster locking nut (19mm?) and the 13mm adjuster, then the belt can be removed.

PelicanParts has a DIY description of the removal job with a good photo that shows the pulley (hidden) holes.

Before you get started, it's a good idea to clean up the engine bay area with a power washer if you have access to one.

This photo shows the shapely hips of the coupe.
Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys! Great information, and 4matic schematic.

I did a brief recon today while removing the water pump pulley. It looks like I'll need to loosen the p/s pump, and remove the tension pulley assy. in order to access the lower front pump bolt. That's fine since I'm replacing the p/s pump, and likely replacing the tensioner anyway.

It's a little too cold outside (28 degrees F) to pull it out to drain the coolant today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts