Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know pin-out of all the connections to the factory head unit. I know the pin-outs to the 4pin connector, and I know that the 5pin connector is to the auto volume adjust (which I won't use). There is a 3pin connector that goes to a box on the back of the head unit labeled line out, which I'm sure goes to an amp. I think I need cable adaptor for the 3pin conector. Or if I kwen what the pin out is I'll be OK. thanks Joe

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
i just did an install in a 91 300sl,

i used a tester to do all the installation.

i just did an install in a 91 300sl,

i used a tester to do all the installation.

here's a tip. use the least amount of wires needed for normal operation, this will help a lot. find all 4 power wires, and 4 speaker wires, antenna on switch and antenna plug and your're set. if you decide to bypass the amp, it's up to you. i didn't , i just connected the speakers that were behing the dash and the thing worked perfect (for factory speakers anyways)

sadly, my friend had an accident trying to find an mp3 at 160KPH and went over a curb and hit a pole. nothing happened to him, but the car was totalled. but it had only 27000 km on it from 91, so he decided to fix it and it should be running back again in a week from now.

i personally have a 560sec, and have an aftermarket unit with speakers and amps. trust me, follow my tip, or else you'll have the problems people are talking about on these forums.

btw, nobody makes harnesses for mercedes, unless u find a junk headunit and take off the harness and adapt it to the harness in your car, although i won't do it for safety and clarity reasons.

best of luck.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

btw, nobody makes harnesses for mercedes, unless u find a junk headunit and take off the harness and adapt it to the harness in your car, although i won't do it for safety and clarity reasons.
That's not quite true. If your car is a certain model and year (nearly all models since 1996), you can use an Audi/VW harness. It only has A/B connectors, so the wiring to the factory CD changer harness (or vehicle management, depending on the year/model) is not connected.

You can find a lot of them at Crutchfield and Circuit City.

-s-

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
yeah well, the subject is a 1990 sl, which doesn't have a harness, and the new ones don'...

yeah well, the subject is a 1990 sl, which doesn't have a harness, and the new ones don't work on the pre 1996, i think, sl's. models like the c e, and m without the bose system have harnesses available, but not the ones with bose, or the older models. if you know something else. please tell me where to fidn them.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

yeah well, the subject is a 1990 sl, which doesn't have a harness, and the new ones don't work on the pre 1996, i think, sl's. models like the c e, and m without the bose system have harnesses available, but not the ones with bose, or the older models. if you know something else. please tell me where to fidn them.
yeah well, sorry. i know what the subject says, i can read, but then you wrote "no one makes harnesses for mercedes", not "no one makes harnesses for the 1990 SL".

and, i had a 1995 SL for which the harness did work. (that's pre-1996.)

oh, and by the way, it had bose.

oh, and my CLK, ML, and C class all have bose, and the harnesses also are available for those.

if you do know what the facts are (and i believe you do because you say you do), just be a little more careful in what you write! then we can save all this, and people that don't know, won't have the wrong idea because you wrote it.

-s-

·
Registered
2003 SL55
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

Hey thanks guys, for all the help and input. After deep searching I found all the harnesses I needed from "Crutchfield" here is the link.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-AZlN7gK1OIn/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=103000&I=120701860&o=m&a=1

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
well, i'm happy that you found harnesses for your sl, but i was in europe and didn't fin...

well, i'm happy that you found harnesses for your sl, but i was in europe and didn't find any. i'm sorry i didnt' include some points in my post that may have milead some people, but i'm talking from my experience.

can you please tell me where you found your harnesses? and who makes them?
thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts