Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car starts and runs good when engine cold but dies when engine gets hot to a normal temperature. Now the car will not start no matter how many times you try. It has to cool down for 4 to 8 hours before it will start again. I have replaced the fuel pumps and fuel filter but problem stays the same. From here I don't know what to try next. I will appreciate any help on this problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,711 Posts
Did they had CPS in 89?
Also could be leaky injector flooding the hot engine as well as 100 other things. Any smell or smog on start? Get infra red thermometer and compare temperatures of the cylinders.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
When engine is cold it receives a "rich" fuel mixture.

As it warms, the mixture richness is reduced.

Sounds like too much for your engine to keep running.

This suggests vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
When engine is cold it receives a "rich" fuel mixture.

As it warms, the mixture richness is reduced.

Sounds like too much for your engine to keep running.

This suggests vacuum leak.
Could the charcoal canister or purge valve that help control the mixture ratio on cold and warm-up be a possible culprit? I have been wondering about this since so many people are reporting similar issues on various sub-forums here.

·
Registered
2002 E320
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your good suggestions. I would like to answer each as below:
1. Crank position sensor: Is there a way to test CPS without buying a new one?
2. Leaky injector: There is no gas smell or smog when car starts.
3. Vacuum leak. A good possibility as I have seen some frail and worn out vacuum lines. I will try to replace them and see if any improvement. How could I determine if the problem is in carbon canister or purge valve.
Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
My CPS failed also and this was my experience.

I was driving and at the time, the car was fully warmed up and it died. I pulled over, tried to start the car and it cranked but the engine would not start. After a few minutes, the car would start but it would die in another few few minutes. I tried a few times and the results were consistent, I called my dealer and based on the symptoms, my SA guessed the culprit was CPS.

I called MB Roadside Assistant. The technician came and it took him 20 minutes to change the CPS. The car ran fine afterward.

My experience was different than yours. I was able to start the car after a few minutes but it died soon after. It was nothing to do if the engine was hot or cold.

·
Registered
92 400se, 01 ml320, 83 280SL, 79 6.9, 72 300sel 3.5, et al
91 Posts
try this when it fails, replace the fuel pump relay, `behind the battery, its the one NOT mark KLIMA., if you dont have a spare, pull out the relay and look at the pins and locate the ones numbered 87(fuel pump) and 15 (ignition) or 30(bat). locate the corresponding holes in the receptacle and connect the 87 and 15 and see if the engine starts. if so the relay has a clod soldeer and you can open it and resolder. it will be pretty obvious if yopu know what good slder connection looks like. pls post your result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts