Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question posted earlier, but no answers. Here it is again: I have an 89 560SL and notice a gas odor in the passenger compartment and the trunk after the car has been sitting for awhile. It goes away once the car is driven for a few minutes. There are no stains from leaking gas in the trunk, the passenger compartment or on my garage floor. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How long is the car sitting?

Do you smell gas fumes during the start of the car, but as soon as you start driving, they disappear?<p>Looks like gas fumes are making their way into the cabin while standing still, but as you get moving, the airflow pushes the fumes away.<p>Check your gas cap, maybe the seal is old and needs replacing. The fumes could be entering through the opening where the top folds in. It's not airtight back there, so there is where I would check as soon as you start the car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: Question posted earlier, but no answers. >Here it is again: I have an 89 560SL and notice a gas odor in the passenger compartment and the trunk after the car has been sitting for awhile. It goes away once the car is driven for a few minutes. There are no stains from leaking gas in the trunk, the passenger compartment or on my garage floor. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?<<br>I had the very same problem with my 1986 560SL. The problem was solved (as someone else suggested) with a new MB replacement gas cap. Seems the fuel tank builds a lot of pressure on these cars. A bad gasket on the fuel cap allows fuel to leak into the drain and in these cars, that means down through a well in the side of the trunk, thus producing the high gas odor.<br>Hope this helps.<br>

·
Registered
1974 450SL, Aqua Blue; 2012 E350 Cabrio, Quartz Blue; 2015 C300 4matic, Silver
27 Posts
See if you have gas on your manifold. Maybe a leak that evaporates when car warms up. Smell enters cabin through vents?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,767 Posts
I was not aware that BW even existed in 2001. But for the sake of anyone going down this fuel smell issue always start with replacing the fuel cap even if it doesn't look like its leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts