Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gary. The interior is excellant (blue) with
very minimal wear on drivers seat,no tears or loose seams just a few cracks. I just put new 225/60
15 high performance tires on it (200 miles). I dont
Know if the timing chain has been replaced but it
runs and drives excellant with no noises.The brakes have been replaced. I dont want to sell it but it
has become necessary. I still have a 1987 420 sel
which I intend to put back on the road soon (bent valves). I wil try to post more pictures tommorow.

Thanks. Chuck.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, those chrom wheel well bits always make me walk away from a car.. They are usually installed to either cover rust, or after they are installed cause rust to start..

W/o a timing chain and a rash of other records I'd say your price is high.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jonathon. I put those trim rings on a month ago ,but there is no rust on this car,it has been in Georgia since new. As far as the timing chain goes,have you ever rolled a new chain on without
taking off the front cover. Chuck.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Ah ok, are they the clip on type or screw in? Where in GA is the car?
I've installed all but one chain by rolling it in w/o removing the front cover:)
I'm actually about to do another one tomorrow!

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jonathon, the car is in Cookeville Tennesse where I
Live. I bought the car in Georgia and have the
original sales reciept and window sticker ($72,000+)
The fender trim have 3 screws each. Chuck.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
I just purchased my 1991 560sel here in Memphis for $7000, garaged, perfect interior, near perfect paint, no known mechanical issues. I am about to do a timing chain replacement on it (140,000mi) because I do not see on the records that it has been done, do you have any tips or reccomendations? I also may know someone who would be interested in your vehicle.

·
Registered
89 560sel/87 420sel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Iwas told by jonathon (jhodg5ck) that the chain could be rolled on without removing the front cover.
Sounds like he is very knowledgeable and helpful on
Mercedes.
You can email me if interested in my car at
[email protected] Thanks.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
SoulvilleUSA and Justice4,

A talented MB mechanic can determine whether your timing chain has been replaced recently. Invest money in an inspection by an experienced tech and you may save some dollars. jhodg5ck and others will likely confirm this course of action. Just because you don't have a receipt for the service doesn't mean it wasn't performed in a timely manner.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts