Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
Through the years, you all have been a great help as I worked on and maintained my 560SEL, Heidi. But now, through a long chain of events, my family now has an excess of vehicles and my parents want to downsize the fleet. They insist that this include selling Heidi and moving on.

Here is the 560SEL's listing on eBay:

1989 Mercedes-Benz 500-Series | eBay

If you have any questions, please ask them there.

Many thanks.
KK

· Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,501 Posts
Nice color combo black/red 89 560SEL
By the look of that dead grass under the car and the amount of leaves piled up in the front window drains and false firewall its been parked up under those trees for some time out the open - very dirty engine bay too.
Instrument cluster deterioration indicates also it has spent time parked up outside in the weather
Be interesting to see the log books as to maintenance history if you were a prospective buyer - but for those interested you would really have to inspect it in the flesh of course before forming any opinion.

· Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,647 Posts
above average huh??? clearly he knows not nothing about 126 members on this forum

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca

· Outstanding Contributor
1991 560SEC (Federal), 1991 420SEL (California)
2,886 Posts
I am sorry to say it and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but your car is not above average, actually is way below average. In addition your subtitle says "Excellent condition", later in your description you say that the car was "cared for over its lifetime" but the engine compartment contradicts you at every step. Even the interior leather is not on your side... Be happy if you sell it below your reserve, whatever that is. Having zero (0) EBay feedback will also work against you big time. You may want to try Craigslist, there is no feedback there.

Good luck with your sale.

· Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler, 1961 Albright Cabin Cruiser
9,569 Posts
Through the years, you all have been a great help as I worked on and maintained my 560SEL
Seriously ??? :eek :| :eek with only ONE post and as others have noted, the car is NOT in any condition stated, dirty engine bay with leaves sprouting from everywhere :eek

GLWTS, you'll need it unless you find someone who knows nothing about Mercedes cars

· Registered
2008 ML550, 2003 E320, 2003 ML350, 2001 CL600 - former W108/W111/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,484 Posts
I'm always amazed when I see people make statements like this about their car that's for sale, yet they can't take the time to clean the detritus out of the cowl or even run a sweeper on the interior carpet.

Granted, I have very high standards in this regard, but really?

I rank this sort of stuff up there with "just has a few minor issues that need to be addressed" or "AC just needs to be topped off."

So what's keeping you from taking care of it before you put the car on the market?

Ouch.

Dan

· Premium Member
73 and 75 450SL,81 380SL,80 500SL, 85 500SEC and 81 500SEL.
388 Posts
Heed the forum advice

Hey KK,spend one full day cleaning the detritus out of the whole engine bay,then wipe down every surface you can reach with rags. Spend twenty dollars or so on a leather nourishing product and bring that interior to life. Vacuum every square inch of carpet and underneath so any prospective buyers get the impression that your description is truthful. Imagine that you have the opportunity to meet with a bunch of the Benz world blokes and their cars and get your 560 looking awesome for her big day out. Working on our beautiful old Benz's is never a chore, it is an honour and a pleasure. Good luck with the sale kid.

John:nerd

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Poor Heidi... Wonder what the other cars are and named

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Example of way above average

1987 & 1991 C126
6,982 Posts
Hey KK,spend one full day cleaning the detritus out of the whole engine bay,then wipe down every surface you can reach with rags. Spend twenty dollars or so on a leather nourishing product and bring that interior to life. Vacuum every square inch of carpet and underneath so any prospective buyers get the impression that your description is truthful. Imagine that you have the opportunity to meet with a bunch of the Benz world blokes and their cars and get your 560 looking awesome for her big day out. Working on our beautiful old Benz's is never a chore, it is an honour and a pleasure. Good luck with the sale kid.

John:nerd
Yup, Me too.....

In addition, move the car before the pics are taken!

The dead grass around the car speak volumes of what might be unsaid..

MBL

Be truthful, but no need to say to the world: It's been parked for two months.............

· Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler, 1961 Albright Cabin Cruiser
9,569 Posts
Example of way above average

https://youtu.be/g8puFe_Gnc0
LOL, I saw this vid a while back, that guy is so full of shyte, he sounds like he's making it up as he goes (trying to impress the pretty girl perhaps, maybe trying to bullshit his way into . . . . . . . . ) and such a rare car, an AMC (watch and listen closely LOL) with rare, not made anymore, lightweight and racing parts LMAO

· Premium Member
4,501 Posts

· Registered
50 years of MB
5,350 Posts
Yeah, but you can be honest and realistic in a constructive manner, like Currumbin SL, or just critical.
How about critically honest and realistic?

c : exercising or involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation. critical thinking; a critical commentary on the mayor's proposal

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the constructive advice. If Heidi doesn't sell this round, your advice will certainly come in handy in the second go-round.
I realize that the car isn't perfect, or even average to the people on this forum, but it's pretty good for the real world and I feel I've done the best I could do. Yes, I could have taken better pictures. Yes, I could have done better cleaning the car up. But at the end of the day, you now have an accurate portrayal of the vehicle's condition, and giving you anything less would be deceitful on my part. Just think how upset you would have been if you bought a product that was misrepresented.

I know I should let this go and turn the other cheek, but I'm pretty taken aback by some of the comments made here. Actually, I'm pretty disappointed. I know most of you will read this without second thought, but until now, I've never seen a comment less than cheery and helpful, even when they disagreed or were critical - and that says something given the amount of time I've spent here. I've done the best I could do given that it's my first car and I don't have limitless time and money to spend on restoring her. Further, just because I haven't been able to keep her to your standards doesn't mean I don't want to and haven't tried to. Elite or premium member status doesn't mean you care more than a newbie. I've had a really fun time in Heidi - a lot of cool firsts and a lot of memorable times. And if it were a reasonable option for me, I'd be keeping her stored until I had the money and time to restore her properly. On that note, I'm actually talking to a collector right now and I'll hopefully end up selling Heidi to him or her at a reduced price on the condition that they restore her and not use her for parts. She's just a daily driver, and to some of you not even worth stopping to take a look, but to me she means alot to me and selling her is difficult. Heidi taught me a lot of lessons over the years: about the value of elbow grease, about the sense of accomplishment when you finish a long, arduous process, about how to be patient and thoughtful, about the importance of researching a project before starting it, and about how to appreciate the work others do. But I guess Heidi had one final lesson to teach: people aren't always who you think they are.

· Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Good response and it is a pity you can't keep her as they are wonderful machines from the 80's that are well respected and cherished here.
Any car will only sell for what a willing buyer is prepared to pay and how much they can bargain you down based on faults they see as a bargaining tool.

That is why it was suggested to move the car away from the dead lawn spot and clean up the leaves piled up on front of the windscreen and false fire-wall area and a good wash & vacuum etc (not hard to do) before any prospective buyer turns up at your front door.

Yeah sorry but most on here are pretty fussy about what is considered "an above average example" and not what the general public take on that is.

With many fond memories of a family owned car and from yourself later on getting to drive it and have fun those sort of memories ingrain into your head forever and in a lot of cases later on in life there is regret for selling. Some even go hunting years later to track down the car as the urge to find it and buy it back.

Anyway good luck with the sale and the plus on your side is it is a great color combo and any enthusiast will be able to knock those visual faults into shape pretty quickly with a thorough detailing and you would be surprised the difference it makes at little cost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.