Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
nice -- but it looks more "stuck in the 80s" than the stock SECs or ones updated by owners more recently. not that i'd turn it down if someone offered to give it to me, though...

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
i aint no christian but that thing looks so good it blasphemous

·
Registered
89 560sec, 83 300sd turbo
435 Posts
Beautiful car, wonder what tuning it has by AMG or just the body kit.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
id say it had at least AMG exhaust package i.e extractors mufflers etc, perhaps even cams

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,579 Posts
Couple of things that don't compute:
- there is no AMG sticker in the engine compartment, the black one with the silver block lettering for "AMG". The engine decal might be on the radiator bulkhead with the glare on it but it's not apparent.
- There is no AMG logo on the right side of the trunk.
- The speedometer, while it has an AMG logo on it, is in kilometers but it is a US VIN number (WDBCA45) instead of a European one (WDB126...)

This is a poser, but a good looking one.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Genuine AMG or not, it's a stunning and beautiful SEC. :cool:

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
He also has listed a w124 E60, but you have to search for it.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
mramay said:
Couple of things that don't compute:
- there is no AMG sticker in the engine compartment, the black one with the silver block lettering for "AMG". The engine decal might be on the radiator bulkhead with the glare on it but it's not apparent.
- There is no AMG logo on the right side of the trunk.
- The speedometer, while it has an AMG logo on it, is in kilometers but it is a US VIN number (WDBCA45) instead of a European one (WDB126...)

This is a poser, but a good looking one.

Possible explanation to your doubts, but just a possibility... you may be right.

1) The AMG sticker on the radiator support does not have to be there at al time to be an AMG. I recently picked up a 1991 190E AMG that is documented by Affalterbach, but has no sticker on the radiator grill like other's I've seen. Its also possible the stickers may have peeled off over time(due to age, not wear).

2) AMG logo could have been taken off by a thief or previuos owner for whatever reason. Eddie had an AMG logo on his trunk lid at one point but he took it off for a "badgeless" back.
3) The car has all the looks of a Euro(bumpers, lights, tail lights, speedometer, interior options. The are 2 reason there maybe be a US VIN on the auction... 1 is that ebay does not recognize Euro VIN.. so Kyle may have put a known US VIN to get by it. 2 is that when the car is federalized(if it was) I've seen a US VIN made up for a newly imported Euro car by the DOT.

4) Finding a genuine MPH AMG speedometer is extremely difficult(about 10 times if not more difficult than finding a spare KMH speedo). Probably the only place I can think of getting one is from Barry Taylor.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Isn't their also supposed to be an adjustment for the type of gasoline that adjusts the timing in the Euro cars? I don't see it on this one.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yep, Euro cars have what are known as 'trimmer plugs', one by the OVP relay, the other down next to the CIS relay in the pass footwell.

This is not a genuine AMG, I know that 100%.

But it's still a lovely car. None of my cars are genuine AMG's, but I wouldn't claim them to be from the AMG House !!

talbir

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
i don't think anyone(including me) can claim a 'TRUE' amg 560 unless you have the 6 litre engine...my sec's got the body kit, amg exhaust, amg mods to the engine, amg steering wheel, trip computer, amg speedo, recaro seats but it's still not a 'TRUE' amg car without the 6 litre...nevertheless it's still got amg bits in it, just not the complete package!

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
picklesam said:
i don't think anyone(including me) can claim a 'TRUE' amg 560 unless you have the 6 litre engine...my sec's got the body kit, amg exhaust, amg mods to the engine, amg steering wheel, trip computer, amg speedo, recaro seats but it's still not a 'TRUE' amg car without the 6 litre...nevertheless it's still got amg bits in it, just not the complete package!
Picklesam,

You have very high standards.

Actually, you standards are higher than AMG's own.

After all, back when they were independent, they allowed customer to buy the AMG badge if they bought only one "performance" part from them, and a "performance" part could be as inconsequential as a steering wheel or a ******* "lip" spoiler.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Another suspect issue with the car is that is set up with euro bumpers and it is a US car thru and thru. Look closely st the cruise control stalk. It is US spec, and I have never seen anyone locate a EU German stalk to complete a change over.

Nice car but it's a parts conversion queen. Nice to own but not for the monies for a makeover car.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
picklesam said:

No - a true AMG is one where the engineers at the AMG factory actually put their hands on the car and modified something. Whether it be just the suspension, exhaust, interior, exterior, sound system, interior wood etc, or the full 6.0 DOHC i.e. the whole nine yards - a true AMG is one that visited the AMG factory for the mod(s).

The 6.0 DOHC is irrelevant. You can pick up a DOHC and add it to your car (there are two 6.0 DOHC M117's for sale at the moment) - still won't be a true AMG, unless AMG's engineers actually did the mods.

My 560SEC has all the mods you have listed above plus the full AMG wood package inside plus AMG suspension.

My 500SEC Widebody has all the same again PLUS the genuine AMG Widebody package, PLUS the AMG Clarion sound system. But I wouldn't call either an AMG from the factory as nobody from the AMG factory ever touched it.

BTW, the trip computer is nothing to do with AMG. It's an MB option.

talbir

G

·
Having never gotten hold of a 560 AMG are you to tell me that it displaces 6.0 liters? I was always under the impression that the AMG "Hammer" found in the 560 was a DOHC 5.6? Edgumicate me please.

By the way

1988 Ford Mustang LX (Blue)
1990 Ford Mustang LX Notch (Red)
1991 Ford Mustang LX Notch (Emerald Green)
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA (Burgandy)
1987 Camaro Z28 (Black)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Burgandy)
1995 Camaro Z28 (Red)
1972 Triumph Spitfire (Orange)
1973 Chevy Camaro
1985 Mercedes Benz 500 Euro (Light Blue)
1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL (DEEP BLUE)
1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL (BLACK)
1987 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL (Silver)
1988 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL (Deep Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL (Smoke Silver)
1990 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL (Smoke Silver)
1991 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL (Smoke Silver)
1991 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL w/ ASR (Smoke Silver)

I had a few others that went straight to parts cars as soon as they were purchased. All the rest I got running, drove, owned, and disposed of.

G

·
Oh and I forgot the Smoke Silver 420 I drive daily... The ole mule has burrowed its way into my heart. I think I sold this car off in parts twice, put it back together, drove it to pick up 3 of the above mentioned cars, had sex in it, got shot at in it, beat the piss out of it and have put it away wet more than twice. To date I think this 1990 Daily Driver Smoke Silver Benz has paid me $5800 to drive her above and beyond the gas, purchase price, insurance and everything. You got to love the cars that give a little reach around. NOW THATS A MERCEDES. 250,000 miles and still does 140 easy.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
There were two DOHC versions, a 5.4 and a 6.0, the DOHC 5.4 being for 1st generation, the 6.0 for second generation.

The Hammer is nothing to do with the w126 - the Hammer was the w124 DOHC car.

talbir

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
www_126world_com said:
Having never gotten hold of a 560 AMG are you to tell me that it displaces 6.0 liters? I was always under the impression that the AMG "Hammer" found in the 560 was a DOHC 5.6? Edgumicate me please.
First of all; the "Hammer" is only the w124 with the 6.0L DOHC engine. None of the w126 models carried that nickname.

Yes, the bored-out 6.0L engine was the top of the line engine from AMG. 375HP and all the goodies.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts