1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420se 1988, 1994 E420, 1989 560SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two minor and one marginally bigger problem with my 1989 560 SEL

Transmission
When starting up the car from cold the transmission wont gear up from second and thrid gear untill about 2500-3000 RPM. After about 25 minutes of driving (oil in transmission then hot?) the transmission starts to behave as it should (this long past engine having reached working temp). This all is very irritating. What can be the problem with my transmission? Have anyone else hade similar experiences or has any clue as to what is wrong?

Running
The engine doesnt run all well at all times. Often it misses a beat or so every now and then. Its not much at all but when idling at singallights it can be felt in the car when it makes a little shake every now and then.

Steering
I have replaced the left Tie rod trying to get rid of wheel play. This didnt change anything. I have read somewhere something about replacing steering damper. Where is this located and what is it?

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Your first problem isn't a problem but a design.
Meant to heat up the engine faster and thus creating less pollution and wear.

gr J

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I dont think it is. I am familiar to the gear-box not shifting up at first when cold from my E420 but that went away fairly quick. This is something else. I have to drive the car for 25 minutes before the transmission acts normal. Thats not the design. Ive had a 420SE and an E420 that didnt act this way.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,096 Posts
No I dont think it is. I am familiar to the gear-box not shifting up at first when cold from my E420 but that went away fairly quick. This is something else. I have to drive the car for 25 minutes before the transmission acts normal. Thats not the design. Ive had a 420SE and an E420 that didnt act this way.
I would change the fluid in the tranny and torque converter (search archives) and install a new filter and gasket to start. A not too difficult DIY.

Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
560-SEC 1991 W126
41 Posts
Yes Richard Bergquist
I have same problem exactly.
I talked to my mechanics and he said some about a body valve (It is a brain of the gearbox). It is like a segment and there are too much line (like a map).
Also, he said it is no problem you can keep it or changed.
this is the only way to solve a problem.
I hope the answer you question well.
thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is how I finally got the problem solved: Two months ago I turned the car to a mechanic, a 69-year old german guy named Charlie Pertz, who is supposedly specialized on automatic gearboxes. He agreed with me that the behaviour of my gearbox was not part of any design, as otherwise much claimed on this forum and elsewhere. The mechanic couldnt find any fault in the gear-box though the gearbox valve housing had a production number that differed from the cars production number (theory being that they should be identical, Im not convinced they necessarily would be). His theory on this was that the valve housing had some where along the line been replaced . Strange how it may seem since the car has only done 100 000 miles and has belonged to the same owner family since 1991. Anyways, according to the mechanic, some or one of the valvelines in this housing had by design a diameter shorter than on original housings. This design causing transmission fluid to flow at a slower pace until full working temperature of the gearbox has been attained and thus preventing the gear box from upshifting in a normal fashion. The mechanic replaced my valve housing with an original one. Since then the gear box has been shifting like it should, like on any other normal car. Mechanic charged 5300 kr (US$900).

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Thanks for reporting back. This might help people who are using the searchfunction.

gr J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts