Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300sel 235K and going
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

my gf been complaining about the headlight beam at night, that she cant see anything. I have driven the car at night and its like a yellow candle light. I was looking at putting some piaa xtreme white plus bulbs in the car. there 4000k hb1 12v 65/45w= 120/95w.

I know they work with the car but I'm just wondering will I have any wiring and or connection problems over time?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If the lights are yellow you have a problem with the bulbs not getting enough amps, the reflectors ar shot or the lenses are clouded. Bigger bulbs won't do much. A 5W dash light does not put out any kind of light you could drive by, but it nevertheless is bright white.

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Not sure where you are in the world but I'm in the UK (i.e. Euro spec) and I fitted those bulbs with the blue tint (can't remember what they are called now) but they make a bit of a difference.

Also, I tend to drive with the fog lights on which does make a big difference as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well there where all that milky color on the out side. and polished them and got that out. it help some. I looked at new housing for them but there like 400 each. and she dose not want to spend that much. There still milky on the inside though. i did not look to hard to see if i can even take the headlights apart and polish the inside. Is there any other headlight housing i can get that are not 400 each that r good?

Sorry USA New York.

She dose not have fog lights but thats an idea putting some fog lights in.

Thanks guys for the help.

car has 235k on it she can remember when she changed the bubls last. I just did a tune up and there was holes in the plugs so i figure never. yep 130k with no tune up. woman:rolleyes:

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,156 Posts
If its a US spec arent they sealed beam units? If not theres all sorts of brighter bulbs about for purchase.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
79 Posts
I had the same problem, so I tried a HID kit and the improvement was HUGE. Visibility is way beyond anything a regular bulb can produce. After installing I aimed the lights slightly downward to reduce glare for oncoming traffic. The only mistake I can say I made was that I got a bulb that was a little too blue for the liking of local law enforcement. The reason is not for the brightness, but instead the law which states only emergency vehicles can have "blue" lights. I believe lights in the 6500 range should be white enough to make them happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no idea.

ok, Yep HID are so much better. I have them in both my cars but she dose not want them just because of the money. i could buy the ebay one but I do not trust them. Yes 6000k are not blue. But they are all blue when they are cold. my one car has oem they are 4000k they turn on blue but after a min. there white. my other car I put 8000k in and they are blue. thats the once you got I bet. If I could go back I would of got the 6000k.

Well I bought the bubls yesterday. I did not have time to put them in yet. I'll see when I get the time but I'll do a before and after and see. If they do not do much I was thinking of adding these to the lower grill, where the oem fogs would go. piaa 2100 SERIES Xtreme White
SMR Driving 110w lights. PIAA

thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to update this post. sorry guys I put the piaas in and found out both sockets where cooked. Now I know why there was very little light at night. well I replaced them and put the piaas in. Its like light and day!! No problems at all its been two months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts