Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes,
My battery on my 190E is completely dead. I put a battery boost pack on it, the lights and so on work, but when I try to start it I hear a *wooooooooom* sound. Not sure if its the starter?!? I checked the OVP relay, the one I have is the one with Two 10amp fuses (which are not blown). Please let me know if you have any ideas on either question.. Why wont the car start even after i put the battery boost on it? Im going to try the battery from my Maxima on it tommorow, to see if that might work?? :(

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try hitting your starter with a wrench or similar.
hey dude i put the new battery in it,, and nothing, same old sound..*woooooooooom*, where is the starter located? do you have a picture to show me?? how hard should i hit it? thanks:D

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Solenoid stuck, so that the starter gearing isn´t engaging

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solenoid stuck, so that the starter gearing isn´t engaging
hey thanks for responding-

so if this solenoid is stuck, is that why it makes a *wooooooom* sound whenever trying to start it up??? is there anyway i could fix this ? im not sure where the starter is located? could you help me locate it? would tapping it with a hammer or wrench work in this case? please let me know...thanks again!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3, '08 RDX, '09 C63 AMG
1,434 Posts
Starter is under the engine on the driver side if your car is a NAM.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,860 Posts
NAM=North American Market
yes your car is a NAM

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NAM=North American Market
yes your car is a NAM
Cool, would I be able to give it a good hit with out putting the car up on a jack? it seems to be tight under there and I dont want to hit the wrong part lol and when I do hit the starter, I should hit the small piece on it or the larger piece?

·
Registered
1987 190e2.3 16 ..... 1986 944 turbo
43 Posts
just wack the larger part of the starter once or twice hitting the larger motor area should cause it to vibrate enough for the solenoid if it is stuck to loosen up a bit ... if that don't work you may have to drop the starter to inspect... good luck

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just wack the larger part of the starter once or twice hitting the larger motor area should cause it to vibrate enough for the solenoid if it is stuck to loosen up a bit ... if that don't work you may have to drop the starter to inspect... good luck
ok, im going to go beat that starter up right now...ill let you know the results!!:bowdown: hope it workkkks

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, im going to go beat that starter up right now...ill let you know the results!!:bowdown: hope it workkkks
i tried..ended up hitting random places as i couldnt find exactly where the starter was...can someone send me a pic diagram of some sort..

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
913 Posts
First, I hope that you figured out where the starter is!!
Second, any luck yet?

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First, I hope that you figured out where the starter is!!
Second, any luck yet?
i looked under the car and basically hit whatever i thought was the starter...no luck..:(..any picture i could reference? or more details??
pls help.

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
913 Posts
Shizon, do you see the sprocket (gear) shown inside the starter picture Sincity posted? this guy should rotate the flywheel momentarily once you start the car and then it goes back to its normal position
What creates this back and forth movement is the small part attached to the body of the starter which is the SOLENOID.

Now, if you hear the "VROOM" sound and no engine actual start, that means the starter rotor is rotating but the solenoid is not pushing the sprocket

They guys overhere suggested that you hit the starter gently as the back and forth mechanism would be stuck at some point and if this gentle hitting doesn't help, you need a mechanic to take the starter out, inspect, grease or fix

Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts