Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, the old white wonder hit the 220k mile mark while I was heading to school this morning for kid pick up.

This car is a testament to what one owner with the desire and means to properly maintain a 124 can do. I salute him. He (a cardiologist) bought the car in June of 1989 and that is a story in itself.

The car was built in March of 1988 and the doc bought it as a "new" car at a PA dealer in June of 89. Warranty coverage began at that time. How is that possible? I'm guessing that the car was a demonstrator or salesman's car but I don't know anything for sure... The dealer VMI says that the first warranty work was done in June of 1990 @ 7500 miles so that can't help solve the mystery.

I bought the car from his nephew who had it for only a year or so and really didn't need or use it. When I first saw the car I pointed out to him that it must have been damaged in some way because the hood was a DOT-marked replacement part. It didn't bother me because paintwork was really great including the underside. I also noted that the bolts holding the hood to the hinges as well as the ones holding the front doors to the body were coated with touchup paint. Clearly, somebody had done bodywork on the car.

The seller said that the car had never been in a crash as far as he knew. He called his uncle who said the same thing and also said that he *never* buys used cars so I must be mistaken.

Once I bought the car I discovered other weird things. For one, turning on the parking lights also turned on the headlamps. I assumed a bad switch and went through some aggravation to swap in another one. Same problem. Then I tried the lamp control module and that was fruitless. With more important things to worry about I let it slide.

Later I discovered that 1) you could turn on the fog lamps when only parking lamps were selected and 2) the fog lamps didn't shut off when you selected high beams.

Lastly, I discovered that the roof ahead of the sunroof panel had been painted. Very strange. Hail damage? Hood flew up while driving? Don't know but the windshield seems to be the original one.

After owning the car for a couple of years I decided to figure out exactly WTF was going on with the headlamps/foglamps. Popping the fuse/relay box cover and lifting out the fuse holder revealed that someone had installed a couple of jumper wires to cause the abovementioned behavior. I removed the jumper wires and everything went back to normal.

Barring anything catastrophic, at this point it is body rot that will push this car off the road. All the jacking points are nasty and even the rear subframe mounting areas are getting questionable.

It starts instantly and runs smoothly but there is some kind of fuel system issue that will have to be addressed soon. I don't know if one of the pumps is dying/dead or the fuel distributor is screwed up but throttle response is getting pretty bad. A big plus is that the original owner did spring for a genuine MBZ rebuilt transmission at some point.

For what I paid in February of 2008, this car was a total bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Myslelf being a self proclaimed "rollover nerd", love to watch a whole bunch of odometer 9's roll over, I enjoyed seeing it in absentia. Great pic, hope to catch the next installment

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got 230,000 on mine

but my shocks are really bouncy, I hope I can have this remedied, otherwise I will have to purchase a new car :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts