Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420 sel
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my blower fan will not turn on how do i get to the heater fan in a 88 420sel. how to take radio out. how to take out the heater fan switch

new how does the trim pull out to get to the fan

·
Registered
2000 SLK230-LE
375 Posts
1. To get to the climate control unit, take out the ashtray.
2. Under the removable part of the ashtray, there should be two screws. The ashtray frame should slide out. Disconnect the bulb.
3. If it's the stock radio, you can take it out by reaching to the back and pushing it out. (at least on one of my cars).
4. Under the wooden panel that holds the climate control unit are two screws which are hidden when the radio is in place.
5. After that, I believe you can take the wood out and you have access to the climate control unit.

The blower motor is under the passenger side dash and is accessible by taking the bottom panel out. Easy to figure out after that.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
I'd check the blower fuse first. It's a strip fuse in its own little black plastic box just behind the first firewall and in front of the big fuse box. The box is about an inch and a half long and half an inch wide, with a single wire leading out of each end. Easy to replace (and just replace it, as the old fuses can look good and still be bad).

BTW, if you still have the original aluminum/lead "bullet" fuses in the main fuse box, replace them all with copper-- about $10.

If the fuse fix doesn't work, it's likely that the fan is just old. The fan is accessible underneath the passenger side of the dash (above the footwell). It's a bit of a PITA to do, but literally a few screws and you're there. The old fan motors can go out, and replacing the entire fan isn't horribly expensive, and used fans are easy to get and can be had for cheap at a junkyard (at least around here in So. Cal.). It's not likely that the climate control is the issue.

As to removing the radio-- if you need to do that anyway, the method has been written up before in the archives (an rich resource, BTW). Here goes:

A. pull out the ash tray

B. Remove inner ash tray to expose two screws underneath.

C. Remove screws and pull ash tray all the way out (disconnecting the lighter too)

D. Reach into hole where ash tray was and pull the radio out from behind. Be gentle here.

E. Once radio is out, find two screws along the rail that was just above the radio. Undo these.

F. Once screws are out, gently pull the wood console down and out. All the switches and the ACC unit will come with it. The ACC unit is screwed onto the back of the wood console.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts