Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2001 996 Turbo
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie to Mercedes. I've work extensively on BMW and Porsche but really haven't touched a Mercedes other than a few brake jobs.
However, I'm faced with the possible opportunity of purchasing a 1988 560SL with 40k. It'll probably be well under $10k but I'm still a bit hesitant even if I do the work myself.
The car definitely has not been driven much and thus runs poorly and is very dirty.
My questions are as follows:
1. Why does the steering wheel seem like it's tilted toward the left? Seems like it's about a 1/2" off.
2. At about 60mph going up a slight incline the car seems to surge a bit. Any ideas?
3. What kind of gas mileage should be expected?
4. What's the normal operating temp as reflected on the temp gauge? I hear there's a potential problem with the older original radiators.
5. Anything else to watch out for?
Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
1. I had this problem with the steering wheel on my W116. The steering wheel is ounted on ...

1. I had this problem with the steering wheel on my W116. The steering wheel is ounted on a staggered hub (sorry for my english). I guess W107 is the same, in that case just remove the steering wheel and put it back in the correct position. It was some 10 years ago so I don't remember the details how to de-mount the sterring-wheel, but from what I can remember it was not difficult.

4. My temp guage is always "in the middle", or slightly above in traffic jams and hot weather. Radiator can get clogged, especially if the car has been standing still alot with old coolant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts