Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a '88 560SEC. Drove it home and noticed there were no console lights on (climate control, radio, window switches) Figured it might be a fuse. Then I had the headlights still on and opened the drivers door and...poof...they all came on. Then closed the door and they all went off. Is there a short in the door jamb switch which would affect the console lighting? Dash lights and rheostat seem to work fine. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
`81 W123 280E, `83 W126 280SE, `85 W126 280SE, `91 W126 500SE, `96 W202 C180T, `99 W202 C220CDI
511 Posts
There is something wrong with the connection between the door switch and the console lights. I asume that beside the central console your gear shift console light are off too (they are connected with the central console lights)...

·
Registered
1988 560sec
6 Posts
Im going to revive this tread and try to get an answer. No power to console lights or radio with door closed shift gate light works fine??? Was working fine. I have a after market deck put in by last owner also.

·
Registered
1986 300SDL
4 Posts
Reopen Thread

Trying to revive the thread -- same problem. When door is open, clock, radio, center console lighting work -- door closed -- nope.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
1986 300SDL
4 Posts
Same Problem

Want to re-revive this thread. No one has posted an answer yet -- and I seem to have the same problem. Clock, center console lighting, radio, antennae work with driver's door open -- not with door closed. Changed fuse 15 -- no effect.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,496 Posts
Two ideas.

You may have one or more wires broken where they pass through the door into the car body and flex over and over.

There is s diode in the fuse box which might be causing this. I don't have experience with it yet but when it goes bad, I believe odd things happen.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,934 Posts
Sounds like the circuit was finding power to work off the door switch when door was opened. Yes electricity DOES do weird things at times (try to 'splain why dash fault lights come on when OVP or it's fuse blows :eek )

·
Registered
1986 300SDL
4 Posts
More

Best I can tell -- on my car -- 300 SDL -- their are more than 1 fuse for the circuits -- so apparently the switch in the door being closed lets power flow another route. It was a tough deal because the break in the #2 fuse was barely visible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts