Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the winter I stored the 560SL in my shop and when I moved it outside in the spring I had a small puddle of transmission fluid on the shop floor.
Last year I had the engine rebuilt and motor mount changed. She ran great all last year. No problems. The shop was great and they are definitely Mercedes mechanics. Can a 3 - 4 month storage cause this type of leakage?

I checked the level of fluid with the engine running and the level is low.
I went to a local Napa Auto and they sold me Red Line Synthetis Oil D4 ATF.
Should I add this type of fluid and if not what type is correct?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ella

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi, Ella, welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to click the USER CP link and complete your BW profile re: vehicle and location as that can be useful information.

There is a forum specific to your car in the Roadsters section, the 107 forum. They can probably give you more pointed and specific information.

I believe your transmission would just use plain old Dexron Type III. Synth Dex 4 is backwards compatible but lots more expensive.

If you can tell in relation to the transmission, where was the puddle? Middle of the car left-to-right? Nearer the front up near the radiator or further back like near the transmission? Closer to the joint between the engine and transmission or closer to the rear of the transmission (more mid-point of the car)? As you can probably guess it's hard to diagnose such things on an internet forum so the more information you can provide the better.

But no, simply parking a car will not cause a leak. It's possible when they pulled the engine they didn't get a cooler line back in properly and that's the source, but additional details will help locate it, but either way you should get it in to be fixed. Call your shop and tell them, they may cut you a break since they did all that work.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts