Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I inherited a 1988 560 sec from my father back in June. The car has been pretty well taken care of but it has 209000 miles on it. I had some issues with rough idling and brake pulsing but after researching stuff on this forum I disconnected the ABS system and now the car idles and runs very well.

However two times in the last 3 weeks while driving between 30 and 40 miles an hour on city streets the car has randomly lost power for no apparent reason. Every single light on the dash pops on and I lose some of the ability to steer the car but I've been able to get it over to the right hand side of the road both times. The first time it took me a couple tries but the engine turned over each time and on the third or fourth try the car started. It happened today on my way to work and after I got the car over to the side of the road I was immediately able to restart it on the first try.

After doing some research on the forum I was thinking it could possibly be the distributor cap or the fuel pump relay...I'm wondering if anybody has any input or had dealt with a similar experience and can help me trouble shoot. Thanks for taking the time to hear my woes, hope to have this thing back to daily driver status again!

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
3,979 Posts
Hello everyone,

I inherited a 1988 560 sec from my father back in June. The car has been pretty well taken care of but it has 209000 miles on it. I had some issues with rough idling and brake pulsing but after researching stuff on this forum I disconnected the ABS system and now the car idles and runs very well.

However two times in the last 3 weeks while driving between 30 and 40 miles an hour on city streets the car has randomly lost power for no apparent reason. Every single light on the dash pops on and I lose some of the ability to steer the car but I've been able to get it over to the right hand side of the road both times. The first time it took me a couple tries but the engine turned over each time and on the third or fourth try the car started. It happened today on my way to work and after I got the car over to the side of the road I was immediately able to restart it on the first try.

After doing some research on the forum I was thinking it could possibly be the distributor cap or the fuel pump relay...I'm wondering if anybody has any input or had dealt with a similar experience and can help me trouble shoot. Thanks for taking the time to hear my woes, hope to have this thing back to daily driver status again!
Hello there & Welcome to the forum!

Having had & read of similar symptoms over the years, I’d zero in on the Fuel Pump Relay as a first defense. The solder joints on the circuit board can get cracked and these open circuit readily & seemingly at random.

I bought a couple of new replacements, but ended up resoldering mine & reinstalling.

May yours be as easy a fix.

MBL

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,013 Posts
I'd also carefully check the wiring at the fuel pumps. One guy's car would die every time he went into a driveway. Apparently the slight angle change of the fuel pumps caused the broken wire to kill the power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchase a 1986 SEC recently, the owner told me the car shut down while driving, I towed home, buy new set of fuel pump and filters, fresh gas and car is being running good since then. My suggestion is change also all the rubber lines before you put gasoline on it.
Best Wishes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts