1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have a 1988 500SEL (Grey Market) which I brought back with
from the middle east. I have the full history of the car, as it
was shipped from the factory to Tokyo in 88 for a Kuwaiti Oil Executive.
I even have the factory first aid kit still sealed, and the 88 floormats in mint
condition.

The one thing I don't have.....and can't find, is a copy of the owners manual.
Could anyone please point me in the right direction? Does anyone have a spare they'd like to sell?

Any help would be great.
Ian Parker
Delaware

[email protected]

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Welcome.

To take advantage of all the forum features,
please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial
sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY
stickies.

It will show how to search the forum, how to
complete your profile with a location (makes it easier
for members to offer advice), and even has a link to
the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The
forum archive has a wealth of information, incl. write
ups re your topic.

Since that model (1988 500SEL was never sold in the USA, it is a gray market car, and the owner's manual for it was never sold there in the English language either.)

Therefore contact MB in Germany (Call 1-800-FOR MERCEDES) and ask them how to do get one.

On my own, I would try to source one off eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace (Ebay UK) as they sold this model, and the owner's manual for it would have been written in English. However, some aspects of the car (Right Hand drive) etc would have applied to vehicles in tended to be used in England only.

Or you could try and get one from ebay Germany eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerstücke, Sportartikel und mehr – alles zu günstigen Preisen but of course, it would be in German - this model was sold in Germany for that year.

Or you could call the phone number above, (or even go to a dealer in the USA
if you aren't deployed anywhere now) and buy one from the dealer - for a 1988 560SEL, which would be of some help.

These show up on eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices from time to time.

We here applaud you for our service to our country, the USA. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Dumb question

Dumb question, but did you look in the cubby on the package shelf opposite the first aid kit?

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
When I get home I will look at the part number for my owners manual.

It covers the 420 SE/L and C, the 500 SE/L and C and the 560 SEL and C in both RHD and LHD, but NOT the Americanised models.

It may help you get one from the UK or Germany.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I bought a used MB that was missing a couple of the option manuals and managed to find them for sale on eBay. Don't forget there is eBay.uk and in other countries since your car was not originally sold in the USA.

I'd like to 2nd the opinion that said "Thank You" for serving in the US Armed Forces!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts