Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im working on my 1988 300TE wagon and while changing the rear brakes, I realized one of the Hydraulic Rear shocks has broken the bolt on top and the bushing is pretty bad. Any chance that that a new bushing and bolt can be purchased and this expensive shock fixed?

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,388 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words....

Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real1, Id send a picture but Im pretty sure it wouldnt help. I Assumed (Dumb) that what I was looking at was a broken bolt so I was going to drill and easy out the stud. Well it wasnt a stud, it was a threaded extension that was part of the top of the Shock and when I drilled it, I got a face full of hydraulic fluid that would have made for a great bloopers video!

So now im in a pickle, I would not like to spend $400 for a new one so Im looking for a used one. Im getting mixed info, some say the self leveler for the 300 te from 88 to 93 is the same and they come in left and right versions. Others are listing brand new Sachs that are identical P# for Left and right, multiple years. I found a used one for a 1991 300 TE but the dealer selling it says it wont cross to a 1988.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Does anyone have a good used one for sale?

Helpppppppppp>>>>

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,372 Posts
W124s with SLS do NOT have rear shocks, they have hydraulic rams similar to the ones found on heavy construction equipment like earth movers.

Since you drilled it, you will need to get a replacement ram. I am not aware of any running changes on the ram during the production run of the W124.

Suggest you scour local wrecking yards and find a used unit or contact Potomac, one of the largest MB yards in the nation.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Bummer. Just 'cause I'm a curious gent, could you be more specific regarding where you drilled into the strut? I'm having a hard time imagining how this happened.

If you're interested, I have several used SLS struts in useable condition, but none of them have the rubber gaiters, as seen on the 210 strut on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the top mounting bolt in the shaft of the piston was broken off and had what looked like a threaded sleeve on it and still in place above the fender well. It turns out, it wasnt a sleeve at all, it was a a threaded nipple that was once part of the ram of the leveler. I was just an idiot really, I should have actually dismounted it instead of trying to drill it out through it through the fender opening. It would have been obvious it was broken and not just a sheared bolt and I wouldnt have gotten a Hydra bath! In the end, it couldnt be fixed either way.

sbart, I didnt know the exact terminology for them, the wrecking yards locally dont seem to have a clue or a cylinder either. I just called them shocks cause im a wannabe, not all that versed in the specifics of Das Mercedes but I'm eager to learn. I will check with Potomac if I cant get anything nearer. I tried one of the parts seach services, they called me 10 minutes later, had one for 375+ shipping, I LOL at him, I can get a brand new Sachs for that price. He called back and offerd it at 325, still too rich for a used part less than 25% less.

I found an 1991 300TE unit online in great shape for 90.00 delivered but the dealer says it wont cross to the 1988 TE, is that true? It seems the sites are all showing them as the same till 1996 but I dont know. He even says they might not be the same from left to right side but he has the drivers side that i need.

Zeit, it was almost funny and could have been much worse if I didn't always wear glasses bnut I certain used a couple explatives, one ofg the a good German flurry just for the hell of it. Can the galters be purchased for those seperately? If so, I would be interested.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I believe the struts are the same for all years of the S124s. The gaiters are integral and can't be purchased separately from MB. I've contemplated attempting to source steering rack or front strut gaiters from a suitable crossover vehicle, but so far haven't found anything. I believe aftermarket manufacturers make some gaiters for motorcycles that could also be used.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
I know Im talking outta my hat since Ive not seen what you did and know less-than-zilch about the SLS system...

but...

would it not be possible to thread the hole you made and insert a small sealed plug?
Perhaps with some teflon tape around it?

Just thinkin' to generate smoke. :rolleyes:
:D

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
Any chance that that a new bushing and bolt can be purchased and this expensive shock fixed?
No.

The L and R are the same. I agree with our two experts in that any strut from a 1987 to 1995 wagon should work on your 88.

You don't say where you are located; there is a 94 E320 wagon with both rear struts with rubber intact at Crazy Rays Pick n' Pull in Jessup MD two weekends ago if you are near Washington DC. Probably charge you $20-25 each.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
AFAIK, there is no major ram change in the wagon from start to finish in the 124 series. If you want to play it safe though, there would be umpteen yards with these for pulling in your yr.

Hydraulic rams are always rebuild-able...you'd be surprised on how simple the seals are arranged inside. So....even if you get a leaker form a salvage yard, it's repairable. All hydraulic rams have to have the seals installed and then the ram finished assembled...the reason they are rebuild-able.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
AFAIK, there is no major ram change in the wagon from start to finish in the 124 series. If you want to play it safe though, there would be umpteen yards with these for pulling in your yr.

Hydraulic rams are always rebuild-able...you'd be surprised on how simple the seals are arranged inside. So....even if you get a leaker form a salvage yard, it's repairable. All hydraulic rams have to have the seals installed and then the ram finished assembled...the reason they are rebuild-able.

Kevin
That would be pretty cool. It would also be nice to replace the foam bump stop, which is crumbling by now on most of these struts. No way to replace those without fully disassembling.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
That would be pretty cool. It would also be nice to replace the foam bump stop, which is crumbling by now on most of these struts. No way to replace those without fully disassembling.
If I can get that ram apart, I can rebuild it. The stop could be sourced as well, I'm sure. I used to deal with hydraulic centers that had everything you could imagine.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I just checked, and it appears as if there's a collar that can be unscrewed to separate the chamber from the ram. If the lower pivot balljoint needs to be removed in order to get at the foam bump stop, then I don't see how these things can be rebuilt

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
I don't know...have to see/hold it. You have to think how it could have been assembled from the supplier. Usually, they don't weld things on with flammable parts already installed.

Kevin

·
Registered
92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
4,492 Posts
I think I've got one with the gaiter. Had one go bad in what sounds like the same way and grabbed two at a yard.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Agreed, but if you look at the pic in post #5, I can't see how the ram attaches to the balljoint. It almost appears that the cap is crimped/pressed on from the bottom in a one-time assembly. I think the hope is that once the cap is unthreaded from the top chamber that the internal piece in there that limits its upward range can be removed from the ram to allow the bump stop to be slid off. I highly doubt that Sachs ever contemplated rebuilding these things out here in the field. I recently dissected the old struts on my Audi, and there's no earthly reason why they couldn't be rebuilt if that's what the manufacturers had in mind. Like you said, any strut is just a hydraulic ram with a series of seals, washers and bearings

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know Im talking outta my hat since Ive not seen what you did and know less-than-zilch about the SLS system...

but...

would it not be possible to thread the hole you made and insert a small sealed plug?
Perhaps with some teflon tape around it?

Just thinkin' to generate smoke. :rolleyes:
:D
interesting thought, unfortunately the stud on the top broke off originally so it cant really be fixed.

Im in upstate NY and the choices are few to none locally, both rust and not so many wealthy folks add up to not so many MB's in the wrecking yards.

All the replies have been really helpful, thanks everyone! I asked the seller of the ones im tracking online if they would fit my 88 30 TE 124T, his first response was, "According to our interchage, no they will not fit a 1988 300TE. These fit 89-03 124Type 300TE only. Sorry but thanks for the message". After all I've heard since I asked him to recheck the compatibility thing cause most of what ive heard and seen says unless they are from a 4matic, they should fit.

Meinpanzer, If that doesn't pan out, I would be interested in the extra one you have if your selling it and it will fit my wagon. Im going to find out this morning, I will let you know, thanks again everyone, you are great help.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
You need one that will fit an '86 -- '95 124 wagon, and either 2WD or 4Matic make no difference. They will need to be from a wagon though, so make sure the seller doesn't have a sedan version (highly unlikely). Personally, if I were you I'd take meinpanzer up on his offer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need one that will fit an '86 -- '95 124 wagon, and either 2WD or 4Matic make no difference. They will need to be from a wagon though, so make sure the seller doesn't have a sedan version (highly unlikely). Personally, if I were you I'd take meinpanzer up on his offer
Thanks ZG, Im emailing him after this. How bad do you think it would be without the rubber boot to protect it?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,372 Posts
Without the rubber gaiter (boot) protecting the shaft, contaminants will enter and destroy the internals of the ram and also wreak havoc on the rest of the SLS components.

I wouldn't bother running the car without the gaiter in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts