Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been driving my white 300E since early June (after reinstalling the overhauled cylinder head). It has been interesting to relive the 124 experience after being away from it for a few years. All the good things I remember came back very quickly but little by little the bad things come back as well. Lack of overdrive and poor fuel economy to name 2. My first 124 was an offlease 88 300E that i bought in 1992 and it's hard to believe I've been involved with these cars for almost 30 years. Yikes!

The white 300E is a project that I bought at a "can't refuse" price from a previous forum member because it had a bad transmission. That was remedied the first weekend I owned the car with a good used transmission from a parts car that I bought from yet another forum member.

After that things slowed down to, well, a stop for a couple of years. No time. But I did have a good battery in the car and ran it regularly. Which revealed another problem. So the head came off to fix a couple of wiped cam lobes and rocker arms and new guides were installed to fix the oil fouling. And the car sat again.

Circumstances dictated that the car leave my work property so I did the work necessary to make it roadworthy. Mainly new rotors and pads at all 4 corners and replacing the wiper motor assembly since it was all herky-jerky from dry lube.

I've put about 500 miles on the car since June and I magically discovered a very nice pair of front springs in my rented garage a few days ago so I figured it was time to replace the broken front springs. Even though it's 95 degrees here with 85% humidity at the moment. Got sweat?

I used my Klann knockoff spring compressor which worked perfectly as it always does. Both front springs were replaced in about an hour. The pucker factor is pretty high, though, when that spring is compressed to the point that the coils are touching each other. This may be related to the fact that I was replacing struts on a 2007 E320 at work back in March and one of the struts got loose in the wall-mounted spring compressor, seriously hurting my hand. But I digress...

The nice replacement springs, wherever I got them years ago, are now residing in that white 300E and it is riding level again.

The list of things that I need to do before selling it grows smaller. I will continue to drive and enjoy it until it finds a new home. As of a couple of weeks ago I finally reeled in one of my lifelong obsessions -- a 1961 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible. A lot of project cars stashed in the barn will have to be liquidated to bring that 1 convertible to respectable condition.

Greetings and salutations to all my old friends here.

PS: Son Karl and I will still be doing the 1990 4MATIC drivetrain swap this summer. Separate thread already started for that project.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
'61 Lincoln? You dog. What a cool project car! Good news is that I believe they don't have K-jet, an O2 sensor, or a EHA. Best wishes on it. Post a photo of it with a 300e in the background (so no one can complain about thread placement) :)

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
Glad you're back Pete and totally wonderful that junior you is there and eager to assist/learn..

Jim

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Pete, which Klann knock-offs did you buy?

Good luck on the Lincoln! My dad had a new '67 convertible. Second car I ever drove, then it was traded. Lots of memories screwing around with that beast as a teen. Car is a total vacuum run show....worse than the MB's.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts