Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Well after much experimentation I have finally put all the pieces together and finished this little project.
Items Used :

Set of Customised White Face Gauge Dials and Warning Light Inserts.
These overlay the existing dial cluster and with the inserts just slide in on the side of the cluster after removing existing ones.
These are heat sealed in thin transparent film. Zender logo was added to complement my vehicle's body kit (Zender of course) and the MB Star was added to the big blank space on the accessories gauge. They use existing mounting screws and clips from your existing cluster arrangement.

Colored Cool White Wedge Bulbs for Instrument Lighting and Colored B8.5D LED bulbs for warning light panel and indicators. Right hand warning lights are wedge bulbs inserted into existing sockets (red LED).

So here for your viewing pleasure (scoffing, laughter and general ridicule accepted under duress) is my 300CE's new instrument cluster.

ILLUMINATED WITH HIGH BEAM ON

Cluster Finished - A.jpg Cluster Finished - B.jpg
Cluster Finished - C.jpg Cluster Finished - D.jpg

NORMAL STATE

Cluster Finished - E (not lit).jpg
Cluster Finished - G (not lit).jpg Cluster Finished - F (not lit).jpg

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like it except for the MB star in the center.
Thanks ! Yeah wasn't sure about the star or not. Can easily get rid of it just thought it broke up the monotony of the open space.

You should have seen one of the experimental one's I did - strictly one for the boys ! Sadly destroyed in case the kids found it ! :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
with those cool white gauges, i wonder if it would look cool if you replaced the wedge bulbs with UV led (black light) bulbs. it make them look like plasma guages. as if they were only the white on the gauges were glowing. what do you think? do they even sell black light led wedge bulbs?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Looks good but I agree about the Star.

My 400E doesn't have that fuel economy gauge.

A shot at night would be cool, too.

Good job on that!

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Thanks ! Yeah wasn't sure about the star or not. Can easily get rid of it just thought it broke up the monotony of the open space.

You should have seen one of the experimental one's I did - strictly one for the boys ! Sadly destroyed in case the kids found it ! :D
I like the star.. keep it! Q: How did you make the white gauges? PS: this spell check can't spell ..corrected gauges with gages :eek:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gidday Fellas

Night Shot will come - I am actually working on replacing that crappy prism system with some led illumination for brightness.

Blue light suggestion - hard to find the right bulb as direct replacement so would have to run special fitting. Not sure if it would work but would be interesting to see what result would be

They were made by a friend Rahul, in the USA to my specifications but I do know the process and have made others to try myself. But he does it as a hobby business so as much as I would like to reveal how its done I don;t think its fair to him for me to do that sorry. Needless to say they mount over your existing gauge are not glued on but use existing monting pins and screws.

Due to the way W124 gauges work it is quite simple to replace them with custom designs - the hard part is having the right "gauge" markings for a particular car. My 240 km gauge starts and finishes higher on the dial than some other models. That was first stumbling block.

If you have a particular look your interested in Sam send me a PM mate !

·
Registered
216 Posts
i wouldn't mind a set of these, nobody seems to sell the KM/H ones. How much does your buddy charge for these?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Gidday Fellas

Night Shot will come - I am actually working on replacing that crappy prism system with some led illumination for brightness.

Blue light suggestion - hard to find the right bulb as direct replacement so would have to run special fitting. Not sure if it would work but would be interesting to see what result would be

They were made by a friend Rahul, in the USA to my specifications but I do know the process and have made others to try myself. But he does it as a hobby business so as much as I would like to reveal how its done I don;t think its fair to him for me to do that sorry. Needless to say they mount over your existing gauge are not glued on but use existing monting pins and screws.

Due to the way W124 gauges work it is quite simple to replace them with custom designs - the hard part is having the right "gauge" markings for a particular car. My 240 km gauge starts and finishes higher on the dial than some other models. That was first stumbling block.

If you have a particular look your interested in Sam send me a PM mate !
Thanks, but I need to do other things first, However the gauges are beautiful! :cool:...............:bowdown:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A shot at night would be cool, too.
And here it is :

IMG_1177.JPG

All instrument cluster globes are LED the left side being color LEDs matched to the indicator strip.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts