Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think the previous Hammer listed here was black.

Anyways:

1988 300CE "Hammer"
Mileage: 73,068 miles
Built: 11/02/1987
Sold: 12/17/1987
Paint: Arctic White
Interior: Saddle Leather
VIN: WDBEA50D9JA621508
Price: $45,000.00
Owners: 5

Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series AMG Mosselman Hammer | eBay

Last recorded dealer visit: 04/04/2007

Ad copy:
Up for sale is a really nice 88 Mercedes with the AMG kit and twin turbo kit! The car only has a tad over 70,000 miles. It is amazing condition with the exception of the paint blemish on the window pillar pictured. The car has a strong 3.0l inline six with the mosselman twin turbo kit and an automatic transmission. It also has AMG everything and Im told its called the "Hammer Kit"! Suspension, 3 piece wheels, Door Sills, Pedals, Gauges, and more! The car has been stored for quite a while and thats what kept it so nice through the years! It has power everything and everything works as it should. Since it sat for so long I would do all tune up items to be safe and keep everything up to date. The car has had the following done to it recently: New Air Filter, Rear Brake Rotors & Pads, New Motor Mounts, and Oil change. The car comes with its original manuals and remote for the radio. This car is as nice as it gets. No major dents, scratches or blems! Only the paint on the window pillar!

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
I would say fake.
Wrong hood for starters, painted windshield surround, pedals don't look right.
But I am not well versed in the Hammers so others, let us know.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Nothing "Hammer" about this car except the name of the body kit. That invoice looks fake to me, or at least very different from the ones I have seen before. The guy is dreaming on the price.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
That intercooler arrangement is a thing to behold...as in, I don't think it's beholden to offering much by way of performance improvement

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,688 Posts
I HATE that hood!!!:mad: Doesn't the HAMMER have a v8? That what AMG HAMMER means I thought. other than that they did have AMG non hammers AKA the body kit and suspension.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I think this car has been up for sale for as long as I've been in this...have seen it "for sale" in several locations, w different names, etc, and it couldn't get bought for years in the $12K range.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
I think this car has been up for sale for as long as I've been in this...have seen it "for sale" in several locations, w different names, etc, and it couldn't get bought for years in the $12K range.
RHW is correct. This thing has been for sale several times over the past several years. Each time, the story changes as well as the price. ZERO AMG other than some add on emblems. 1/3 the price would still be a questionable deal considering all that would need to be done to correct the broad applications of bad taste.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
AMG documents, if authentic, show the aero kit including SEC grill conversion, suspension, wheels etc ..

Not sure of the $3550.00 for "door panels "....possibly what appears to be the stepped ( fiberglass ? ) cladding that I've only seen on a non USA AMG built coupe...

Front wheel arches appear flared...

Engine is a stock M103-12V with the correct Mosselman twin turbo kit..
Mosselman used the top mounted intercooler on the W201 and W124 builds..

The Aero kit is hammer "style' but that's about it,,,
No 32V V8 and it's no Hammer...

Asking price is in real Hammer territory...probably worth about $10K - $15K if it's an authentic pristine mechanically sound vehicle...

Some very nice original bits and pieces with some value !!!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
If Willy was using top mount ICs, then he no doubt was including some sort of ductwork or hood vents to create through-flow. Otherwise, there's very little temperature differential to be realized with that arrangement.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If Willy was using top mount ICs, then he no doubt was including some sort of ductwork or hood vents to create through-flow. Otherwise, there's very little temperature differential to be realized with that arrangement.
He used a large duct to feed air to the IC, but still not that efficient...
On the R129 and C124 Silver Arrows that he built with the M104 engine he included louvers in the hood over the turbos and the IC...

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. But truthfully, there aren't a lot of options available with a stock bodied 124

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. But truthfully, there aren't a lot of options available with a stock bodied 124
I find the TurboTechnics IC location quite efficient.

The IC is located on the right side lower chassis rail beneath the turbos...very short run of the hot compressed air to the IC.
They include a fiberglass shroud that runs to the front of the car forming a plenum that increases the effect of the ambient air passing over the IC....

When I installed the Gen I front bumper it blocked the plenum intake..resolved by installing a Corvette C6 brake cooling duct intake in the lower part of the plenum...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I found some pix of the car when it was for sale in 2007 at around $10K +...
Note the stepped cladding which is what I believe is listed as the $3550.00 door panel option.
They are made of fiberglass? and bonded to the body sheetmetal..
Confirms authentic rare AMG option...

Attachments

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
An authentic Hammer would have Recaro seats, not standard ones.

And those pedals are available on ebay for any price you like :)

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Back when it was 10k, I should have bought it. Lots to change, but if the underlying powerplant is done right, it could have made a spirited daily driver.

As much as I like many aspects of the car, I hate several aspects, including the grill style, what was the name for that "S" class look, where the hood + grill covers some of the headlight?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
An authentic Hammer would have Recaro seats, not standard ones.

And those pedals are available on ebay for any price you like :)
Recaro seats not neccessarily as the cars were built "ala carte" and everything was an option....

Only option a "hammer" had to have to earn it's nickname was one of the 32V-DOHC variants...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Back when it was 10k, I should have bought it. Lots to change, but if the underlying powerplant is done right, it could have made a spirited daily driver.

As much as I like many aspects of the car, I hate several aspects, including the grill style, what was the name for that "S" class look, where the hood + grill covers some of the headlight?
Rich..

It's worth $10k + now as the parts have a great deal of value...wheels alone are $2000-$2500, Mosselman complete kit with controller another $2000...AMG Aero kit, exhaust, suspension adds up in parts alone..

The SEC look was popular..I picked up the AMG sheet metal grill housing overlay in 1990 but didn't like the foglights being covered...ended up selling it !!

It's period correct down to the reflector between the tail lights...

Note a different NJ tag from 2007 to now...believe in 2007 it was in Central/North NJ, now down south in Pennsville....

Ed

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
Nothing "Hammer" about this car except the name of the body kit. That invoice looks fake to me, or at least very different from the ones I have seen before. The guy is dreaming on the price.
When this car was for sale a few years ago, the AMG invoice had no VIN number typed in. The invoice also looked like a copy or that the AMG logo was "pasted" onto the document. This probably was due to it being a photocopy.

Now we have posted what looks like the original AMG invoice but if you look at the VIN, it has clearly been added, either to the photo or to the invoice itself. The VIN is in focus where as all the other lettering on the invoice is not. The VIN's font is also smaller than the rest of the font used throughout the invoice.

I have seen these AMG invoices before. Westmont used them and they were add-ons to the original window sticker (if the converted car was purchased by Westmont)

Attachments

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I find the TurboTechnics IC location quite efficient.

The IC is located on the right side lower chassis rail beneath the turbos...very short run of the hot compressed air to the IC.
They include a fiberglass shroud that runs to the front of the car forming a plenum that increases the effect of the ambient air passing over the IC....

When I installed the Gen I front bumper it blocked the plenum intake..resolved by installing a Corvette C6 brake cooling duct intake in the lower part of the plenum...
Thanks for the pics. I've always wondered where TT put their ICs.

Are those chassis stiffeners from a cabriolet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts