Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I actually got to put some time into the car. After spending a ton of time cleaning the interior to passable condition here are the pictures the appraiser took.
I found out the car has been sitting for two years. I need rear rotors. front rotors(not even going to try and have them turned very rusty), One lifter is ticking, left seat belt presenter not working, sun screen rear window not working. AC not working, rear seat belt receivers need replaced and both seat back locks not working
I am thinking of replacing the water pump, timing chain glides, tensionor, radiator flush(two reasons has green antifreeze and the car has a lot of kilometers) and change brake, transmission, rear end fluids/oils.
I here that some cars came with load leveling just trying to figure out if this one does. Also any info on cleaning the engine bay. I am worried about wiring?
Also any info where to start o the above electrical issues seat belt presenter, sun screen and seat back locks.
I was told the lifters are easy and you do not have to remove the camshaft.
I figure that the price I paid for the car $1350 with 240.000 Kilometers or 149,000 miles the car was not that bad of a deal
Has anyone bought AC parts from eBay if so were they any good?
Any all help will be great appreciated
Cheers
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you doing the work yourself?
Hey
I am going to try I bought the car as a project and it is not my daily driver. so if it takes me a week to replace the timing chain, tensioner and glides it will be no big deal.
I have done a ton of timing belts on Volvo and chains on old 350/427 Chev motors.
Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I am try to figure out S/A numbers

I received the data-card from my car and I am try to figure out a few things on them
Like under equipment 273
Two Paint codes
1) 702
5) 73

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
paint codes

I received the data-card from my car and I am try to figure out a few things on them
Like under equipment 273
Two Paint codes
1) 702
5) 73
702 = Smoke Silver

73 = ?? can't find that one

see attached spread sheet and sample paint color combos

I think yours is the 5th row down, center

Attachments

·
Registered
1955 300SL, 93 300SE, 91 500SL, 1989 190E2.6
607 Posts
Congrats; Very nice and beautiful car, these were around $50,000 when new and engineered to last a lifetime with materials selected as about the best you can get. Love that "dark chocolate" interior. My interior is mushroom colored. I really think that for the money you can't do any better. Mine has load leveling and works fine, my seatback locks don't appear to be working though, so I'm interested in finding about how we can get those fixed!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
702 = Smoke Silver

73 = ?? can't find that one

see attached spread sheet and sample paint color combos

I think yours is the 5th row down, center
Hey
Thanks for the chart. I guess the Paint Code number 5 is the exterior trim.
I have a list of S A numbers do you know what these are? Part numbers for the options?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats; Very nice and beautiful car, these were around $50,000 when new and engineered to last a lifetime with materials selected as about the best you can get. Love that "dark chocolate" interior. My interior is mushroom colored. I really think that for the money you can't do any better. Mine has load leveling and works fine, my seatback locks don't appear to be working though, so I'm interested in finding about how we can get those fixed!
Hey
Thanks for thinking the car is not scrap. I have noticed on here that people do not look down on you for buying a project car.
I am in awe over this car and the option it has for a 1988. I was just reading they are operated on vacuum so a line might be off from the engine or the release buttons could be the problem
I am completely gutting the interior to clean and repair. I think I will wait till I get to the part of the car and deal with them then.
I also was reading that the seat belt presenter conman problem is the micro switch or relay.
If i get any solid info on the seat back I will post it
Cheers

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
The setback locks "lock" when the car is on.
They lock via vacuum. Under the seats, to the front there are one tube
per seat. When the seat needs to be folded, the button on the side of seat is pressed.
As far as the pressenters, if you hear something, then the plastic gear in the mechanism is toast. If no noise, electrical issue. Remove the rear seats, remove the side panels by unscrewing 2 bolts found in the armrests(bottom side) and one more screw that holds the
lower plastic part to the floor.
You will find electrical connections. One for the window switch and one for the presenters.
Check voltage. When the door switches are pressed in, the presenters present.
Mine does not have rear shade, but find the wiring connection and check for electricity when the button is pressed.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The setback locks "lock" when the car is on.
They lock via vacuum. Under the seats, to the front there are one tube
per seat. When the seat needs to be folded, the button on the side of seat is pressed.
As far as the pressenters, if you hear something, then the plastic gear in the mechanism is toast. If no noise, electrical issue. Remove the rear seats, remove the side panels by unscrewing 2 bolts found in the armrests(bottom side) and one more screw that holds the
lower plastic part to the floor.
You will find electrical connections. One for the window switch and one for the presenters.
Check voltage. When the door switches are pressed in, the presenters present.
Mine does not have rear shade, but find the wiring connection and check for electricity when the button is pressed.
Hey
Thanks for the info. I am guessing that they are not getting vacuum. Since both are not working I am guessing that there is no supply to them. Thanks for the advice on the arm and window screen. I am taking the whole interior out to clean it properly so that is when I will check on the arm and window screen
Cheers

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Hey
Thanks for the link. Do you know what the S A numbers listed below the codes
are
Here is a sample number 01 12457/01. I am guessing part number?
Thanks again
I'm local to you. Where do you buy your parts at? I need some for my own car. Also, I moved here last year from California and I'm a bit weary about driving my car during the winter with the salt on the roads and all. Are you currently driving your car with the weather we've been having lately?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm local to you. Where do you buy your parts at? I need some for my own car. Also, I moved here last year from California and I'm a bit weary about driving my car during the winter with the salt on the roads and all. Are you currently driving your car with the weather we've been having lately?
Hi
I do not drive it in the winter. Right now it is still in the restoration stage. I am buying parts from Kijiji German Auto Parts ebay. I am thinking of grabbing a 300e as a parts car. I use to live in San Diego. I brought a 86 944 Porsche and the winter killed it. So if you can swing it I would pick up a winter beater and park the Benz
What parts do you need as if I pick up 300E I might have some you need
Cheers

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
I'm sorry, I do not :( If I had to guess I would say the first two didgits are group numbers, prolly some sub assembly designation, so the workers know what bits to add as it goes down the line.

Fish

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Hi
I do not drive it in the winter. Right now it is still in the restoration stage. I am buying parts from Kijiji German Auto Parts ebay. I am thinking of grabbing a 300e as a parts car. I use to live in San Diego. I brought a 86 944 Porsche and the winter killed it. So if you can swing it I would pick up a winter beater and park the Benz
Cheers
Yeah, it's been sitting in a parking space for about 3 weeks now. Don't plan to drive it till the snow melts, especially since I live downtown and don't really need a car all that much.....but still, I too have been thinking of getting a 300CE donor car but I'd need to drive it to have some of the parts installed. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Hi
Cheers
Oh, and I need new ball joints.....on my car, it means the entire control arm, center A/C outlets and headlight switch housing.

I also have a set of 17 inch CLS style wheels for sale if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey
It is actually worse when the snow starts to melt as you get liquidize salt. If you need to take it out a really cold dry day -20 or colder with no snow. Salt is in a solid form. Then come spring wait till all the snow is gone and we have had a few heavy rains then bring it out.
I found this eBay seller a pretty good store offer a good warranty and reasonable shipping to here
hebertsusedautoparts items - Get great deals on eBay Motors items on eBay.com!
Also on here is not a bad place for parts most members are fairly reasonable on parts
Hope this helps
Is that your car in your avatar? If so nice ride
Cheers

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, and I need new ball joints.....on my car, it means the entire control arm, center A/C outlets and headlight switch housing.

Hey
Have any pictures of the rims? How much you looking for?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Hey
Looks like German Part is charging $350 each control arm
GermanParts.ca

1 - 20 of 38 Posts