Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
AMO You have your hands in to many jobs at once ,, and will never finish just one of them right . Sorry to say this ,,but the way your are working on this car you will never get it finished And the reason is ,, before you get one job done , then your starting on another one . Three posts have told you now about how your gearbox operates --you gearbox allways starts in second gear,, weather you want it to start in 1st or not .So unless you box has 5 forward speeds which it has not ,,it will only change up two times .
I am not certain which jobs you are referring to. With this car the only job i am working on figuring out the issue with 4th not working. With other cars and life, I am busy yes. In the earlier message that was a mistake. I put dropping the shifter into 1st when it actually is 2nd on the shifter.

Just to be clear on how 1st gear starts are enabled. At a stop, place the gear selector in "2", then back to "D" and the car starts in 1st. Secondly, place the selector in "2" at a stop and the car start off in 1st and stays in 1st until you do a quick 2/3/2 shift and it hits 2nd, them up to 3, then D. Lastly, at a stop just ram the loud pedal to the floor and you'll get a first gear start. A bit violent in my opinion but the car will certainly jump off the line.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I can have the car start off in 1st, then it will shift into 2nd and 3rd but will never go to 4th. The RPM's just keep climbing and it does not shift. I can put the peddle to the floor and it will kick down a gear no problem. I did not know that 2/3/2 shift to maintain 2nd but that does make sense.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,701 Posts
Have you thoroughly reviewed the procedure for adjusting the Bowden cable? Has this problem always existed with the car or did it begin after some service work?

Jayare

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Have you thoroughly reviewed the procedure for adjusting the Bowden cable? Has this problem always existed with the car or did it begin after some service work?

Jayare

I have not looked that over. I do not think I was ever suggested to give that a go.

The issues has always been there ever since I picked up the car off of a friend.

·
W124 Moderator
12,701 Posts
It is a simple procedure to adjust the cable. Post up the result and try finding an Indy shop that really, really knows these cars and other Mercedes of this vintage.

Good luck

Jayare

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
It is a simple procedure to adjust the cable. Post up the result and try finding an Indy shop that really, really knows these cars and other Mercedes of this vintage.

Good luck

Jayare

I will give it a look. Thanks for that info.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,111 Posts
good point re the cable. they eventually freeze up and need replacing.

if you accelerate gently from a stop, at about what speed and RPM does it do the 2-3 shift ? this probably should happen below 25 MPH if you're giving it very little throttle, and maybe 2000 RPM. if its staying in 2nd under light pedal until you're over 3000 RPM, odds are that cable is maladjusted or binding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
good point re the cable. they eventually freeze up and need replacing.

if you accelerate gently from a stop, at about what speed and RPM does it do the 2-3 shift ? this probably should happen below 25 MPH if you're giving it very little throttle, and maybe 2000 RPM. if its staying in 2nd under light pedal until you're over 3000 RPM, odds are that cable is maladjusted or binding.

I can test this out but it does not seem to be the problem because I can engage all the gears manually 1, 2, 3 by using the gear shifter when driving. So I do not think that this could be the issue.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
I can test this out but it does not seem to be the problem because I can engage all the gears manually 1, 2, 3 by using the gear shifter when driving. So I do not think that this could be the issue.
I too thought the cable is worth checking.

First off, have you looked at the adjustment end of the cable? These plastic threaded ends strip, break, or easily get misadjusted.

You have a shifting problem and the throttle pressure cable (aka bowden cable) is the single most important user accessible control for when the transmission shifts. Why dismiss it? If the cable is adjusted (or is operating incorrectly) providing input to the transmission similar to the throttle being depressed near full throttle, it may NEVER shift up to fourth.

Look at this photo and see how close that cable is to the oil filter. Your average inexperienced mechanic can and does easily break the cable mount when they remove the oil filter.
autotranny1.png

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I too thought the cable is worth checking.

First off, have you looked at the adjustment end of the cable? These plastic threaded ends strip, break, or easily get misadjusted.

You have a shifting problem and the throttle pressure cable (aka bowden cable) is the single most important user accessible control for when the transmission shifts. Why dismiss it? If the cable is adjusted (or is operating incorrectly) providing input to the transmission similar to the throttle being depressed near full throttle, it may NEVER shift up to fourth.

Look at this photo and see how close that cable is to the oil filter. Your average inexperienced mechanic can and does easily break the cable mount when they remove the oil filter. View attachment 2624065
I will give it a look. I remember looking before at that but just that it was moving freely and not stuck in some way. I will see if I can find some information as far as adjusting.

·
W124 Moderator
12,701 Posts
I will give it a look. I remember looking before at that but just that it was moving freely and not stuck in some way. I will see if I can find some information as far as adjusting.
A very good place to find the adjustment information is in the FSM (factory service manual). The link for it is in our DIY sticky.

Jayare

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
A very good place to find the adjustment information is in the FSM (factory service manual). The link for it is in our DIY sticky.

Jayare

I found what you are talking about. I used the online Star Tek on CD but it did not look like anything was loading correctly. I did however use the next one down "Online Manual with Index" and found the PDF regarding that. I will give it a go. Thanks for the assistance on that.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts