Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
4th gear should be about 3000 rpm at about 60 mph on a 260E
I went up to 60 mph and it was 4000 RPMs. It seems as if the car will not go into 4th gear. It will also engine brake if I back off the throttle. It does not coast. I’m not sure if I’m dealing with two issues currently or it tracks back to the same one.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
IIRC (I no longer have the 260 here, its my son's now and he lives in another state), under the air filter, the whole mess of throttle linkage, there's a bowden cable that goes down to the transmission from the throttle linkage, and effectively tells it how hard you're leaning on the throttle, this is what helps it downshift when you're accelerating... on my 740 volvo, the equivalent cable got stuck such that the transmission thought the car was being floored all the time, so it wouldn't upshift when cruising, symptoms much the same as yours.

ah, here's my 1990 260...

see the cable that snakes around the left side of the oil filter and goes down under to the tranny? thats the one I'm talking about. I'd unclip it from the linkage and ensure you can smoothly pull it out and it retracts smoothly. if its binding that could be your problem

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
IIRC (I no longer have the 260 here, its my son's now and he lives in another state), under the air filter, the whole mess of throttle linkage, there's a bowden cable that goes down to the transmission from the throttle linkage, and effectively tells it how hard you're leaning on the throttle, this is what helps it downshift when you're accelerating... on my 740 volvo, the equivalent cable got stuck such that the transmission thought the car was being floored all the time, so it wouldn't upshift when cruising, symptoms much the same as yours.

ah, here's my 1990 260...

see the cable that snakes around the left side of the oil filter and goes down under to the tranny? thats the one I'm talking about. I'd unclip it from the linkage and ensure you can smoothly pull it out and it retracts smoothly. if its binding that could be your problem

Ill give this a look. I didn't have time to do this over the weekend.

I was going to drop the transmission pan and check the solenoids in the transmission. As well as replace the filter and transmission lines on the car. I tried to look at replacement parts for this but no solid info. Do you guys have a good place where I can find a parts diagram for the solenoids, gaskets and such for these cars?

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
there aren't any solenoids on these transmissions, they are all hydraulic/mechanical. there's some vacuum actuated stuff, and the throttle position cable, thats about it.

you can get parts diagrams from Mercedes ISPPI (formerly EPC) but thats like $75/year and its not letting me renew, mine expired last month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just took the air filter and box off of the car. I checked out the throttle cable. It seems like it moves without an issue it looks like all the components do as well. So I don’t think that’s any of my issues. I will put some WD-40 on the links of it just to make sure that he continues operating smoothly. I recorded a video but I can’t upload the video to the form for some reason only pictures from my phone.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
I just took the air filter and box off of the car. I checked out the throttle cable. It seems like it moves without an issue it looks like all the components do as well. So I don’t think that’s any of my issues. I will put some WD-40 on the links of it just to make sure that he continues operating smoothly. I recorded a video but I can’t upload the video to the form for some reason only pictures from my phone.
WD-40 is a useless outdated product. Those links only need to be disconnected, cleaned and the cups relubed (sparingly) with standard ATF. Then reconnect the links. Make sure you exercise that the springs do not jump out of the cups during disconnection

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
WD-40 is a useless outdated product. Those links only need to be disconnected, cleaned and the cups relubed (sparingly) with standard ATF. Then reconnect the links. Make sure you exercise that the springs do not jump out of the cups during disconnection
I put WD-40 on it and put it back together. There seemed to be no resistance and it looked like it was working as intended.

I did on the other hand pick up some ATF from Mercedes..... $20 per bottle after a discount. I’m going to drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid and this weekend hopefully if I get to it. While I am in there I’ll check and see if there is anything else I can spot that would cause me to not have 4th gear. Earlier I did unplug the kick down sensor (not sure if that’s the correct term in English) to see if that was causing it but that was not an issue.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
I did on the other hand pick up some ATF from Mercedes........
Mercedes doesn't sell the proper fluid for these transmissions anymore under their own brand.

I highly suspect they sold you the wrong ATF.

These cars require a high quality Dexron 3 such as Mobil ATF D/M, which is what MB dealers in the US sell, or outside the US a quality Dexron 2D fluid such as Fuchs Titan 3000.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I did on the other hand pick up some ATF from Mercedes........
Mercedes doesn't sell the proper fluid for these transmissions anymore under their own brand.

I highly suspect they sold you the wrong ATF.

These cars require a high quality Dexron 3 such as Mobil ATF D/M, which is what MB dealers in the US sell, or outside the US a quality Dexron 2D fluid such as Fuchs Titan 3000.
This is what they sold me.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Attachments

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
NO synthetic fluids on these old gearboxes or cars. I've seen them start slipping as soon as synthetic ATF was poured in requiring a full transmission overhaul.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
A bit of an update. I dropped the Transmission pan yesterday. I changed fluid and filter. Oddly enough, it looks like someone attempted this recently but failed when they somewhat stripped a screw that held the filter in place. Plus there was a pine cone needle hanging out of the filter. I laughed when I saw this lovely work.

After looking at the fluid, it really wasn't dirty but the filter was more or less clogged with sludge and gunk. It was probably the worst I have ever seen in a transmission filter. I feel like there is a bunch of dirt and sludge in the transmission. The transmission itself was already slipping so I went ahead and just put M1 Full Synthetic in it. I filled it back up with fluid and a new filter and drove it. It drives exactly the same, still no 4th gear. With as much sludge and dirt in the filter area I would imagine there is a bunch flowing through out the transmission. I will be doing a couple more filter and fluid changes, probably 500 - 1000 mile intervals.

Another thing I noticed, there were no magnets in the pan to catch and hold onto the metal particles in the fluid. I put a few throughout the pan to help this issue out. I will monitor and see how well they were when I drop the pan again possible in 2 weeks or so.

I have not replaced the transmission lines yet. I will most likely do this on the next fluid and filter swap. One of them that is currently on the car is a bigger diameter than I think is needed. I believe this to be causing pressure loss. As of right now, there is 3 things that I think that might be causing my 4th gear issue:

1. Sludge and gunk in the transmission and filter. I will resolve this hopefully after a few filter and fluid replacements.
2. Vacuum Leak. I think there is one somewhere since my brakes are weak, my door locks do not lock like they should, and when I pump the brakes when the car is stopped the idle changes noticeably.
3. The improper transmission lines. The diameter of the transmission lines causing the transmission to not be creating enough pressure.

Maybe one or a combo of a few of these issues.

Attached is a couple of pictures I took yesterday if you guys want to check it out.

Shopping list:

1. Replacement Transmission lines. Where can I get OEM ones other than the dealer and/or the best price?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Quick question. Where do you guys recommend to get a transmission filter and gasket from for these cars other than the dealership. I ordered 2 from Pepboys 2 seperate times and both times the gasket that showed up was not correct. It looks something like this (see attachment)

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
First off, why be afraid of the dealer for simple parts like filters and gaskets..there's isn't alot of money involved.

AutohausAZ, FCP Euro, pelicanparts all sell quality replacement filters and other needed parts. FCP even offers a lifetime warranty on every part they sell, including oil.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I am dropping the pan and swapping gasket and filters multiple times to flush all the the junk out of the transmission. I did not go the dealership route because they have informed me from the previous times I checked with them that they would have to order most everything I need from Germany. I can get it for less money and quicker other routes.

I will check out those options.

·
W201 Moderator
2,218 Posts
First off, why be afraid of the dealer for simple parts like filters and gaskets..there's isn't alot of money involved.

AutohausAZ, FCP Euro, pelicanparts all sell quality replacement filters and other needed parts. FCP even offers a lifetime warranty on every part they sell, including oil.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I second this ^. Only get your motor oil and oil filter (in some cases) from your local auto store.
First go to the dealer and if they do not have it or can not get it in a week or so, then the quality online stores like AutoHausAZ, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I second this ^. Only get your motor oil and oil filter (in some cases) from your local auto store.
First go to the dealer and if they do not have it or can not get it in a week or so, then the quality online stores like AutoHausAZ, etc.
I went ahead and bought a couple from FCP Euro. I will see if these are the correct gaskets. Thanks dudes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
...I ordered 2 from Pepboys 2 seperate times and both times the gasket that showed up was not correct....
There's your first major problem. Pepe's Boys (and other brick and mortar stores) carry nothing that is compatible with these cars except windshield washer fluid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There's your first major problem. Pepe's Boys (and other brick and mortar stores) carry nothing that is compatible with these cars except windshield washer fluid.
Filter was correct. Maybe not the quality of what Mercedes will sell me but that part was no problem.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts