Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1988 2.3 Timing Chain or Starter?

814 4
My 1988 190e 2.3 sedan died while stopped at a stop sign and now the starter just makes a whirring sound as if it is turning, but the engine doesn't seem to be turning over. It seems as if the starter isn't engaging the flywheel, or my worse fear is the timing chain has failed. (If so, hopefully there was no damage to valves or cam since it was idling.)<br> <br> Once or twice while trying to re-start it, it seemed as if the engine was about to turn over just as I was releasing the ignition key to try it again.<br> <br> It's an automatic, so I can't push the car in gear to see if there's any compression or to force the engine to turn over. Any suggestions on simple test of starter or timing chain problem?<br> thx,<br> marty
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: most likly its your starter how many miles on car?

Car has only 107K miles on it. While I would like to think it could be just the starter, I sort of discounted that possibility because the car just quit unexpectedly and it had not been behaving that way, at all. <br> <br> To me, it seems a strange coincidence that the car decided to quit in the middle of traffic after the starter had just done its job for the last time only a few minutes earlier when my wife stopped for gasoline and a car wash. In other words, a failed starter would not cause the car to quit, so I'm still trying to figure out why that happened in light of the other symptom with the starter.<br> <br> Actually, I initially suspected that the car died on her due to the possibility that some water had gotten into the fuse box through the cracked fuse box cover, but I could see no sign of moisture in there. (Primarily, because once before, the a/c quit working for weeks immediately after she went thru the same car wash.) The current symptoms don't seem like an electrical issue, though.<br> <br> thx for the suggestion -- I'd welcome any further thoughts.<br> marty

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: most likly its your starter how many miles on car?

The problem is taking it to a mechanic to diagnose and fix takes time and money. Mercedes is quite expensive for this, I'll never do that again unless absolutely neccessary. If there's a shop near you that you can trust take it there and tell them what happened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.